Summary: Written by a son-father team of prominent geologists, David and Donald Hyndman, NATURAL HAZARDS AND DISASTERS emphasizes earth and atmospheric hazards that appear suddenly or rapidly, without significant warning. The text further discusses ways to prevent or mitigate the damage caused by natural hazards, providing students with the latest scientific research related to these topics. "Case in Point" boxes generate discussion of individual cases to natural hazar ...show mored processes and principles. The authors reinforce the need to become informed citizens and make educated living decisions. Students will find a balanced coverage of North American natural hazards, including earthquakes, hurricanes, floods, and volcanic eruptions. These hazards are illustrated using numerous four-color photos and diagrams.Edition/Copyright: 06
- Principles and processes of natural hazards and human factors are tied to individual cases, discussed in "Case in Point" boxes throughout the text.
- 700 photos and diagrams, many provided by the authors themselves, illustrate concepts in striking full color.
- The authors address natural hazards and environmental issues in a manner that encourages students to make educated choices about where to build a house or to become involved in efforts to improve environmental policy.
- NATURAL HAZARDS AND DISASTERS presents topics using a clear and motivational writing style, and provides a basis for understanding important hazard-related topics.
- Students will learn about earth and atmospheric hazards that appear suddenly or rapidly--such as earthquakes, tsunamis, hurricanes, volcanic eruptions, landslides, and thunderstorms--and how to mitigate the resulting impacts on themselves and on society.
- This text offers a balanced coverage of North American natural hazards with current and up-to-date scientific concepts and data. Topics address the prevention and possible mitigation of past, present, and future natural disasters.
- Students will find a "Geologic Time Scale" in the appendix, as well as a brief discussion on the nature of rocks and minerals to help them understand the background of some natural hazards.
- The complete instructor ancillary package for this text includes an Instructor's Manual, electronic testing, the option for an online Blackboard or WebCT course, numerous student lab options, and a Multimedia Manager containing electronic versions of instructor materials as well as all textual line art.
Publisher: Brooks/Cole Publishing Co.
Other Editions of Natural Hazards And Disasters - With Explorer.. With Cd: