ISBN13:978-0195329889 ISBN10: 0195329880 This edition has also been released as: ISBN13: 978-1891487200 ISBN10: 1891487205
Summary: Roxbury is pleased to announce the much-awaited Fourth Edition of Hickson et al.'s Nonverbal Communication: Studies and Applications.
The new edition features:
A Greatly Enhanced Applications Orientation. The text now integrates applications throughout each chapter. Observational Studies provide opportunities for students to either work with or experiment with each theory discusse...show mored. Questions to Ponder at the end of each chapter give students further experience applying what they have learned. Also included are expanded individual applications of contemporary and historical research findings. This approach eases instruction as students learn to gauge how much they really know about nonverbal communication--and how to apply it to real-world situations. The activities will be particularly helpful for instructors who teach in an interactive style.
A More Conversational Writing Style. This edition is written as if the authors were carrying on a conversation with their readers. There are more examples and fewer studies cited than in earlier editions.
Controversial Issues of the Day. Contemporary topics such as tattooing, body piercing, plastic surgery, and botox are covered.
New Coverage on Gender and Intercultural. Gender and intercultural are integrated throughout the text.
Glossary of Terms. The new edition features this helpful reference for students.
Expanded Coverage of Contextual Applications. These include work, family, and social contexts.
Expanded Media Applications. There is new material on advertising, public relations, broadcasting, journalism, and impression management.
The text offers complete coverage of the field's basic subcodes: Haptics (touch); Proxemics (space); Physical appearance; Kinesics (human body movement); Oculesics (face and eye); Vocalics (paralanguage); Olfactics (scent and smell); and Chronemics (time usage).
An ever-popular feature is the chapter on research methodology. Students will better understand what they are learning if they become aware of the processes scholars follow in developing theories.
The authors conclude their text with a chapter on the future of nonverbal communication--what we know about the field, its practical implications, and where the discipline appears to be heading. ...show lessEdition/Copyright: 4TH 04 Cover: Paperback Publisher: Roxbury Publishing Co. Published: 02/19/2007 International: No
View Author Bio
Hickson Mark L. III : University of Alabama, Birmingham
Stacks, Don W. : University of Miami at Coral Gables
Moore, Nina-Jo : Appalachian State University
"Overall this is an excellent volume. The style here is lively and interesting, coverage is good and goes beyond the routine stuff available in most texts with much more extensive examples outside the academic world. The authors are to be congratulated on a rare achievement."
--Steve Duck, University of Iowa
Roxbury Publishing Company Web Site, August, 2003
View Table of Contents
SECTION ONE: INTRODUCTION
1. Foundations of Nonverbal Communication Basic Definitions Considerations for Definitions Behavior Versus Communication Intentionality Sign Versus Symbol Approaches to Nonverbal Communication Theoretical Approaches Disciplinary Approaches Methodological Approaches Nonverbal Functions and Subcodes Touch and Space Physical Appearance Body Movements and Gestures Vocalics Covert Body/Temporal Communication Nonverbal Functions Nonverbal Communication and Perception Process Structures Age Culture and Race Status Gender Amount of Talk Interruptions Silence Deference
2. Methods of Nonverbal Communication Research Nonverbal Research Review of the Literature Theoretical Perspective Methodology Data Collection Data Analysis and Application Limitations of Nonverbal Communication Research An Example of Context
SECTION TWO: STUDIES AND SUBCODES
3. Haptics (Touch) Animal Studies Tactile Development and Humans Types and Functions of Touch Factors Influencing Touch Immediacy Area of Body Touch Comfort Touch Same-sex Touching Gender Issues Frequency of Contact Violations of Haptic Expectations Substitutes for 'Real Touch' Functional Approach to Touch
4. Proxemics: Personal Space Proxemics Personal Space Classification Schemes Definitions and Need Definitions Need for Space Factors Influencing Distancing Expectation Age Differences Sex Differences Cultural Differences Racial Differences Status, Personality, and Liking Environmental Structuring Violations of Personal Space Other Violations Functions of Personal Space
5. Proxemics: Territory and Environment Territory Animal Correlates to Territoriality Human Correlates of Territoriality Territorial Claims Purposes of Territory Environment Room Color and Aesthetic Appreciation Room Size and Shape Temperature and Humidity Environmental Structuring Architecture Functions of Territory and the Environment
6. Physical Appearance: Impressions of the Body Physical Attractiveness Social Interaction Sex Appeal The Body Body Shape Body Image Stigma Functions
7. Body Alterations and Coverings Body Alterations Hair and Hairstyles The Skin: Cosmetics and Colorings Additions Tattoos, Body Piercing, and Branding Clothing Purposes of Clothing Functions of Clothing Clothing and Success Accessories Functions
8. Kinesics: The Study of Human Body Movements Principles Categories in Kinesics Birdwhistell's Linguistic Analogy Morris' Derivation System Mehrabian's Functional Approach Ekman and Friesen's Cumulative Structure Functions
9. A Practical Functional Approach to Kinesics Variables That Influence Kinesics Culture Sex/Gender Left- and Right-Handedness Relationship With Language Decoding Functions Identification and Self-Presentation Control of the Interaction Relationship of Interactants Display of Cognitive Information Display of Affective Information Deception and Leakage
10. Vocalics (Paralanguage) Definitions Sound and Its Attributes Paravocal Communication Vocalic Functions The 'Normal Conversation' Identification and Self-Presentation Controlling Interaction Regulating the Conversation Relationship of Interactants Display of Cognitive Information Display of Affective Information Deception Other Encoding and Decoding Aspects of Vocalics
11. The Covert Subcodes: Biofeedback, Olfaction, and Chronemics Feedback Systems Gustatory Systems Biofeedback Systems Mood and Emotion Olfaction What Is Olfaction? Olfactory Processes Olfactory Identification Olfactory Influence Olfactory Memory Time (Chronemics) The Structure of Time Hall's Time Categories Bruneau's Chronemic Structures Culture and Time
SECTION THREE: APPLICATIONS
12. Nonverbal Communication in Social Situations Meeting Others General Characteristics Intimate Behavior Environment, Proxemics, Chronemics Cross-Sex Friendships Same-Sex Friendships Male-Male Nonverbal Communication Female-Female Nonverbal Communication
13. Nonverbal Communication in the Family The Home Spatiotemporal Dimensions Kinesic Factors Vocalic Factors Physical Appearance Review Nonverbal Communication in Marriage and Committed Relationships Environmental Factors Space Touch Kinesics and Vocalics Chronemics Physical Appearance The Expanding Family-Children and the Family Relationship Nonverbal Communication in Children Infants Older Children Affective Communication Nonverbal Communication with the Elderly Environment and Space Touch Vocalics Physical Appearance Kinesics Chronemics and Olfaction
14. Nonverbal Communication at Work Nonverbal Relational Messages General Nonverbal Considerations Spatiotemporal Dimensions Overt Body Dimensions Physical Appearance Impression Management Review The Performance Appraisal Interview Nonverbal Interaction in Particular Professions The Teacher in the Classroom The Attorney in Court The Businessperson in a Leadership Position
15. The Future of Nonverbal Communication: A Review What We Know About Nonverbal Communication Where Is the Study of Nonverbal Communication Going? General Review
0195329880 Item in acceptable condition including possible liquid damage. As well, answers may be filled in. Lastly, may be missing components, e.g. missing DVDs, CDs, Access Code, etc. All day low ...show moreprices, buy from us sell to us we do it all!! ...show less
$1.99 +$3.99 s/h
BookBuyers Online1 CA San Jose, CA
2003 Paperback Very good May have minor shelfwear, small DJ tear, cover mar or bumped corner. -May have label on cover and remainder mark.
$2.39 +$3.99 s/h
Better World Books Mishawaka, IN
Great condition for a used book! Minimal wear. 100% Money Back Guarantee. Shipped to over one million happy customers. Your purchase benefits world literacy!
$2.39 +$3.99 s/h
Better World Books Mishawaka, IN
Shows some signs of wear, and may have some markings on the inside. 100% Money Back Guarantee. Shipped to over one million happy customers. Your purchase benefits world literacy!
$2.39 +$3.99 s/h
Better World Books Mishawaka, IN
Book has some water and binding damage, but book is still completely readable. 100% Money Back Guarantee. Shipped to over one million happy customers. Your purchase benefits world literacy!
$2.72 +$3.99 s/h
One Planet Books Columbia, MO
Ships same day or next business day! UPS expedited shipping available (Priority Mail for AK/HI/APO/PO Boxes). Used sticker & some writing and/or highlighting. Used books may not include working access...show more code or dust jacket ...show less
$4.39 +$3.99 s/h
HawkingBooks Lake Arrowhead, CA
0195329880 Very Good Condition. Five star seller - Ships Quickly - Buy with confidence!
$4.50 +$3.99 s/h
Nettextstore Lincoln, NE
2003 Paperback Good Books have varying amounts of wear and highlighting. Usually ships within 24 hours in quality packaging. Satisfaction guaranteed. This item may not include any CDs, Infotracs, A...show moreccess cards or other supplementary material. ...show less
$4.95 +$3.99 s/h
University Book Source, Ltd. IL Rochelle, IL
2003 SOFTCOVER 4 Very good. [No CD or ancillary materials included] [Authentic USA edition] [I will ship immediately] Book in standard used condition: may have minimal or no markings, slightly worn ...show morecovers and edges, and good binding. ...show less
Free Shipping Get Free Shipping on orders over $25 (not including Rental and Marketplace). Order arrives in 5-10 business days.
Need it faster? We offer fast, flat-rate expedited shipping options.
Not the right book for you? We'll gladly take it back within 30 days.
To return an eTextbook:
Your eTextbook is non-returnable once it's been activated. You must contact us about returning your eTextbook before you activate it.
Returns are accepted within 30 days of the purchase date on your order confirmation.
This book qualifies for guaranteed cash back! Buy it now for , then:
Sell it back by:
Guaranteed cash back:
Cost of this book after cash back:
Take advantage of Guaranteed Cash Back. Send your book to us in good condition before the end of the buyback period, we'll send YOU a check, and you'll pay less for your textbooks!
If you find this book for less on Amazon.com (direct from Amazon, not marketplace sellers), we'll match it.
In our warehouse, waiting to ship directly to you.
We hand-inspect every used textbook to make sure it's in good condition.
Buy it now. Sell it later!
Sell this textbook for cash!
When you're done with this book, sell it back to Textbooks.com. In addition to the the best possible buyback price, you'll get an extra 10% cash back just for being a customer.
We buy good-condition used textbooks year 'round, 24/7. No matter where you bought it, Textbooks.com will buy your textbooks for the most cash.
We hand-inspect every one of our used textbooks to ensure good condition.
Our used textbooks do NOT have:
Missing or torn pages
Missing or torn cover
Torn or damaged binding
A broken spine
This textbook has never been used.
Due to the size of eTextbooks, a high-speed internet connection (cable modem, DSL, LAN) is required for download stability and speed. Your connection can be wired or wireless.
Being online is not required for reading an eTextbook after successfully downloading it. You must only be connected to the Internet during the download process.
Windows XP, Windows Vista or Mac OS X 10.3 or above
At least 280 MB RAM, a 600 mHZ processor and 110 MB of hard drive space
1024x768 (or larger) screen resolution
What is the Marketplace? It's another way for you to get the right price on the books you need. We approved every Marketplace vendor to sell their books on Textbooks.com, so you know they're all reliable.
What are Marketplace shipping options? Marketplace items do not qualify for free shipping. When ordering from the Marketplace, please specify whether you want the seller to send your book Standard ($3.99/item) or Express ($6.99/item). To get free shipping over $25, just order directly from Textbooks.com instead of through the Marketplace.
FREE UPS 2nd Day Air Terms
Rental and Marketplace items are excluded. Offer is valid from 1/21/2013 12:00PM to 1/23/2013 11:59AM CST. Your order must be placed by 12 Noon CST to be processed on the same day. Minimum order value is $100.00 excluding Rental and Marketplace items. To redeem this offer, select "FREE UPS 2ND DAY AIR" at checkout. Offer not is not valid on previous orders.
Compared to the prices of new and used, sold directly from Amazon.com (not marketplace sellers). If you find Amazon.com directly selling the textbook for a lower price, WE'LL MATCH IT...GUARANTEED. details