This edition has also been released as:
ISBN13: 978-0534408879, 978-0534652166
ISBN10: 0534408877, 0534652166
Summary: This Fifth Edition of OCEANOGRAPHY conveys Garrison's enthusiasm for oceanography to non-science students and concentrates on maximizing student learning. Garrison brings focus and excitement to students' natural appreciation of the complexities of the ocean with integrated technology and a stunning visual program. Drawing on his more than thirty years of teaching experience, Garrison is intent on writing for how students learn best: he is the only oceanography autho ...show morer to consistently consult students about each new edition and incorporate their suggestions, creating a dynamic, current student focus. He provides students with a basic understanding of the scientific questions, complexities, and uncertainties involved in ocean use and the role and importance of the ocean in nurturing and sustaining life on the planet. Also, with a feel for students' excitement at discovering connections, Garrison increases the emphasis in this edition on the interdisciplinary nature of marine science, stressing its links to biology, chemistry, geology, physics, meteorology, astronomy, ecology, history, and economics. To further enrich the student experience, this edition is now fully integrated, on a concept level and with book-specific interactivities, with a FREE brand-new, student tutorial system called OceanographyNow. OceanographyNow is Web-based, assessment-driven, and completely flexible, offering a personalized learning plan based on each student's quiz results to help students focus on the concepts they don't yet understand. Enhanced illustrations, seamless integration of online resources, and a rich suite of student resources (with an optional regional emphasis) complete the Garrison learning experience.Edition/Copyright: 5TH 05
- NEW! Each CHAPTER SUMMARY has been expanded to give students a more complete CHAPTER IN PERSPECTIVE, containing three elements: a brief narrative review, a brief look ahead (providing continuity between chapters), and a checklist of Key Ideas containing specific points and references to key pages and figures for review. In addition, the text now coaches students even more effectively with three types of STUDY QUESTIONS: review questions, critical thinking questions, and analytical questions with a mathematical emphasis.
- An emphasis on science as a process shows students the importance of the scientific process in all areas of study. This edition further underscores the difference between theory and law, as well as the circular nature of the scientific method (in which each advance in theory suggests new questions).
- QUESTIONS FROM STUDENTS at the end of each chapter ask and answer the most common questions that students have asked following a lecture. This feature provides students with an understanding of questions relevant to their lives.
- OCEANOGRAPHY emphasizes applications, connections, and interrelationships to other fields-demonstrating the integration of all sciences that exists in the study of oceanography.
- An appendix on the job market in Marine Science provides a key resource to students interested in oceanography careers.
- REGION-SPECIFIC INFOTRAC COLLEGE EDITION articles (available on the Book Companion Web site) enhance student interest in local topics.
- NEW! The CHAPTER OPENERS have now been combined with "What to Watch For," shortened, and reimaged to rapidly draw students into the excitement of studying oceanography and motivate them to continue reading. Some of the new openers focus on: the catastrophic 1996 sub-ice-cap volcanic eruption in Iceland (Chapter 3); Alvin and Kaiko, premier manned and unmanned submersibles (Chapter 4); and the unlikely, ocean-current-related palm trees and other tropical plants growing in the southwestern British Isles (Chapter 9).
- NEW! The author includes not just suggestions from his numerous student focus groups (which provided recommendations implemented-most notably in Chapters 1, 2, 10, 11 and 18-in this new edition), but from reviews by fellow instructors as well. In this edition, he has integrated reviewer requests in every chapter. Some examples include: re-designed figures where appropriate; discussion of spreading centers as sources of volcanism (Chapter 3); more information about monsoons (Chapter 8); the Beaufort scale (Chapter 10); barrier islands (Chapter 12); and inclusion of the periodic table in an appendix.
- NEW! Key changes to the table of contents include: The nature of science and the history of oceanography as a science now begins the book as Chapter 1 while the origin and geological history of Earth are presented in Chapter 2. Chapter 11 is now focused exclusively on tides.
- NEW! Our partners at Intelecom, developers of the Emmy award-winning OCEANUS telecourse, have just completed a new oceanography telewebseries, entitled THE ENDLESS VOYAGE. As with OCEANUS, THE ENDLESS VOYAGE series uses Garrison's OCEANOGRAPHY as the companion text. For students enrolled in the teleweb course, a TELECOURSE STUDY GUIDE is available to correlate reading selections from the 5th edition of OCEANOGRAPHY with THE ENDLESS VOYAGE video materials. Tom Garrison was a writer and the science advisor for the series.
- NEW! The text's acclaimed seamless integration of Internet resources (including links to regional applications of chapter topics) has been enhanced with even more online interactive exercises and activities, while placing more emphasis on the Web site's interactive student features. Flash-animated figures from the text (called Active Figures) are designed to increase conceptual understanding through visualization (see OceanographyNow below).
- NEW! OCEANOGRAPHYNOW, the first assessment-driven and student-centered tutorial created for the oceanography market, is completely INTEGRATED with the text! This dynamic resource and the new edition were developed in concert to enhance one other to provide students with a seamless, integrated way to achieve concept mastery. As students read through the text, they will see icons directing them to the media-enhanced activities in OceanographyNow. OceanographyNow offers a pre- and post-assessment as well as a personalized learning plan, focusing each student's study time on specific concepts weaknesses. This flexible tutorial system, combined with precise page-by-page integration of interactivities, enables students to become a part of the action.
- Extensive coverage of physical oceanography provides a balance of physical and biological oceanography, most notably in the chapters on Plate Tectonics (Chapter 3), Continental Margins and Ocean Basins (Chapter 4), Sediments (Chapter 5), Circulation of the Ocean (Chapter 9), and Tides (Chapter 11).
- Unique integration of satellite images through the text enhances the visual presentation of the material.
Publisher: Brooks/Cole Publishing Co.
Year Published: 2005