Summary: For full-year courses in organic chemistry taken by science and pre-health professions majors. Edition/Copyright: 3RD 01
This innovative text from acclaimed educator Paula Bruice is organized in a way that discourages rote memorization. It highlights mechanistic similarities and ties synthesis and reactivity together--teaching the reactivity of a functional group and the synthesis of compounds obtained as a result of that reactivity. Bruice's writing has been praised for anticipati ...show moreng students' questions and appeals to their need to learn visually and by solving problems. Emphasizing that students should reason their way to solutions rather than memorize facts, Bruice encourages students to think about what they have learned previously and apply that knowledge in a new setting. The text balances coverage of traditional topics with bioorganic chemistry, recognizing the importance of bioorganic topics to today's students.
ISSUE: Students need pedagogy created by an experienced instructor who understands where they need help.
PROBE: Will your students benefit from a text written by an instructor familiar with their struggles?
VISUALIZATION ISSUE: Organic chemistry concepts are often abstract and difficult for students to visualize.
- NEW--Revised many of the boxed materials--Bring topics to life and demonstrate the real-world relevance of the chemistry students are learning.
- Piques student interest, increases confidence, and provides extra help for those who need it.
- NEW--Increased margin materials--Includes margin notes and biographical sketches.
- Highlight and remind students of important principles; help students appreciate the diverse and rich history of chemistry.
- Paula Bruice's book is famous for rich biological applications.
- Ties the chemistry students (most of whom are pre-meds) are learning to the biology they are simultaneously learning.
- Reaction summaries--Conclude every chapter that discusses organic reactions.
- Help ensure that students can explain how each reaction occurs.
- End-of-chapter treatment of key terms--Offers a handy page reference to refresh skills.
- Helps students assess their knowledge of the language of organic chemistry before proceeding.
PROBE: Do your students have trouble visualizing abstract chemical concepts and processes?
PROBLEM-SOLVING ISSUE: Students need to practice, practice, practice by solving problems.
- NEW--Electrostatic potential maps added throughout.
- Help students visualize molecules and reactions in ways not possible before by showing calculated charge distribution.
- Abundant graphics throughout--Includes photos, illustrations, and symbolic representations.
- Engages students and helps them visualize abstract concepts.
- Molecular art--Features energy-minimized, three-dimensional structures throughout.
- Gives students a more accurate view of organic molecules.
PROBE: Would your students benefit from a text particularly rich in problems and problem-solving pedagogy?
MEDIA ISSUE: Students' understanding can be greatly enhanced by a media package that is tightly correlated to the text.
- NEW--More in-chapter problems, more end-of-chapter problems, and more solved problems than almost any other textbook.
- Helps students master the subject through problem solving.
- NEW--Review of functional groups at beginning of Chapter 12. More spectroscopy problems added to chapters following treatment of spectroscopy (Chapters 12 and 13).
- Allows instructors to introduce spectroscopy early in the course; improves instructors' ability to integrate spectroscopy throughout the second half of the course.
- Problem-solving strategies--Offers at least one per chapter, followed by an exercise that enables students to immediately practice the strategy just discussed.
- Teaches students how to approach certain kinds of problems, organize their thoughts, and improve their problem-solving abilities.
- Solved problems--Walk students carefully through the different steps involved in solving a particular type of problem.
- Gives students a framework to apply this process to other problems of the same type.
PROBE: Would integrated media resources, which expand the book's effectiveness improve your students' understanding of organic chemistry?
- Bruice Companion Website at www.prenhall.com/bruice--Tied chapter-by-chapter to the text, offering a Problem-Solving Center, Visualization Center, Applications, dynamic Web links, and Syllabus Manager.
- Helps students practice and explore the subject in an interactive, dynamic environment.
- NEW--Organic Chemistry Student CD-ROM--Developed specifically for Bruice, this CD emphasizes visualizing mechanisms through hands-on, animated presentations, videos, 3-D molecules, exercises, and more; FREE with new copies of Bruice's text.
- Helps students learn and understand concepts in a dynamic, interactive medium.
- Organic Matter CD-ROM with Chime--Gives instructors almost all the images from Bruice's text, over 40 short animations, and hundreds of 3-D molecules, along with prepared PowerPoint slides.
- Gives instructors who wish to use electronic media in the classroom an easy-to-use resource.
- NEW--Prentice Hall Course Management Options--Include all the content from the Bruice Companion Website plus premium content in some cases, with a new level of service to manage the course.
- CW+: Exclusive to chemistry, this is our basic CW site with special roster management, gradebook management, and messaging tools built in. Demo at beta.prenhall.com.
- WebCT and Blackboard content cartridges. These include courses developed in WebCT and Blackboard, including prebuilt quiz questions, animations, videos, lecture notes, molecular models, web links, and electronic book chapters.
- Custom CW, which includes our CW content plus instructor-provided material.
Publisher: Prentice Hall, Inc.