Summary: For two-semester courses in Organic Chemistry taken primarily by science and pre-health majors. Edition/Copyright: 5TH 03
This text, organized with a traditional functional-group approach, applies the most modern teaching and pedagogical techniques to the study of organic chemistry. In a highly accessible fashion, this top-selling text bridges the gap between conceptual understanding and actual application -- while strongly emphasizing the development of problem-solving skills. Add ...show moreitionally, it provides up-to-date aspects of spectroscopy, relevant photographs, and many applications to polymer chemistry integrated throughout the text.
- CONTENT: Clear, consistent presentation of core material is central to a student's success.
- NEW -- Mechanism Boxes -- For clearer understanding of how reactions occur, the process and steps underlying these reactions are highlighted and described within the text.
- Key Mechanism Boxes.
- The core mechanisms most essential to organic chemistry are identified and described in detail.
- NEW -- Revised all NMR images to high-field resolution -- To match the spectra work students will be conducting in the lab and in the workplace.
- NEW -- Amines interchapter.
- Pulls together and summarizes concepts related to amines in a small, coherent section.
- Stereochemistry -- Covered early (Ch. 5), before substitutions and eliminations.
- Allows an increased application of stereochemistry in later reaction mechanisms. Focused discussion of mechanisms is introduced early on and is a unifying theme.
- Reaction Summaries -- Includes cross-references to reactions that are discussed elsewhere.
- Summarizes the characteristics of syntheses and reactions of each functional group to provide students with a "big picture" overview.
- Students need help solving problems effectively.
- Unique Problem-Solving Essays.
- Assists students to approach more complicated problems, especially problems that require proposing mechanisms and developing multi-step synthesis.
- Over 190 Problem-Solving Hints -- Derived from Skip Wade's many years of teaching experience, these head off common student errors and offer "over the shoulder" advice.
- Offers students clear approaches, enabling them to use the most appropriate techniques for solving problems efficiently.
- Over 1300 (mostly multi-part) problems.
- Enables students to experience strategies to resolution, identify the more challenging problems, and thoroughly relate them to the material covered.
- NEW -- New problems added and existing ones revised.
- Instructors will have a fresh set of problems to provide maximum flexibility in making assignments.
- Developing a mental picture of chemical processes is essential for student understanding.
- NEW -- Updated and enhanced design and art program -- Contains state-of-the-art, computer-generated molecular and orbital art.
- Increases visual appeal and elegance of the text to create a more enjoyable course for students and instructors.
- NEW -- Added electrostatic potential maps.
- Helps students visualize molecules and reactions in ways not possible before by showing calculated charge distributions.
- Students will find the subject more interesting if they understand how it relates to their major area of study.
- NEW -- Added biological (and other) applications in marginal Applications Notes.
- Helps students see the close connection between organic chemistry and areas of interest such as pharmaceutical, industrial, and other biological applications.
Publisher: Prentice Hall, Inc.
Other Editions of Organic Chemistry: