Summary: This text is aimed at a one-term course taken by allied health and agricultural science students. It includes annotated reaction summary tables, solved in-chapter examples, integrated applications (industrial, medical, etc.) and essays that describe organic chemistry's impact on the economy, environment, and the quality of life. Edition/Copyright: 3RD 02
- 100% new, 4-color art program. Artwork is completely ...show more integrated with textual material. Images created by the Spartan molecular modeling program have been added to this edition.
- Updated essays. Essays are present in each chapter to provide a historical or biological context for the material presented in the chapter. Biological applications are such an important part of organic chemistry that they deserve a significant amount of attention throughout the course.
- Cutting-edge spectroscopy coverage. This is an important area in biochemistry that must be accurate and current.
- Flexible organization. Topics like Free Radicals and Spectroscopy are covered in self-contained chapters so they can be taught at any point in the course. Coverage of the selected topics is more thorough--''fewer topics equals more help''.
- Outstanding pedagogy! Includes Atkins and Carey's popular summary tables and topic summaries. These tables are annotated with comments that remind students about important features of each reaction. These features vary from reaction to reaction, but include facets such as scope, stereochemistry, mechanism, and applications.
- Problem-solving strategies are emphasized throughout the text. Because the nature of problem solving in organic chemistry is different from that of the general chemistry course, students need to be led through the reasoning process and drilled in its application.
Publisher: McGraw-Hill Publishing Company
Year Published: 2002