Summary: Overview of Career and Technical Education has been revised to maintain it as the preeminent historical reference book in the field. A broad-brush overview of the history and development of career and technical education programs is provided, including a brief account of the origin and early forms of education for work; the various experiments for including education for work in schools; the introduction of apprenticeship into colonial America; and the development of ...show more education for work in the schools of America prior to the passage of the Smith-Hughes Act of 1917.
This new edition includes updates in current federal legislation and coverage of recently passed legislation. It also includes material covering the role of teachers, guidance counselors, and administrators in secondary and postsecondary career and technical education programs, as well as material on dual enrollment programs and career academies and how these programs prepare students for the workforce.
This book is a must for any student or instructor involved with career and technical education today.
* Defining Career and Technical Education
* Career and Technical Education Programs
* Evolution of Career and Technical Education
* Early Career and Technical Education in America
* Early Career and Technical Education for Nonwhite Americans
* Federal Workforce Legislation
* Development of Career and Technical Student Organizations
* Ten National Student Organizations
* Philosophy of Career and Technical Education
* Index ...show less