Summary: For graduate-level courses on Career Guidance and Transition for Youth with Disabilities. Edition/Copyright: 03
Bringing together the expertise of two of the most experienced scholars in transition personnel preparation, this up-to-date text offers a balanced presentation of theory, research, and practice in regard to career guidance and transition for youth with disabilities. Its contemporary focus on such issues as inclusive education, cultural and linguistic diversity, and s ...show moreelf-determination and advocacy creates a text with broad-based appeal; while its thorough scholarship supports content with a solid foundation in theory and research. The text is divided into three sections, which can be used together or independently. It includes a unique, cross-categorical model emphasizing a wide variety of transition pathways; and, offers numerous practical suggestions for how to draft IEP transition language related to this model.
- Unique cross-categorical "transitions pathways" model--Applicable to all youth with disabilities, regardless of categorical label.
- Ensures students come away with the most current information, and the broadest possible definition of transition by addressing all of the required components of transition currently mandated by IDEA '97.
- Research-based best practices--Covered in a full chapter and complementary table.
- Offers the most comprehensive review on the market.
- Sample IEPs containing transition language--Attached to four case studies. Correspond to the four pathways in the transition pathways model.
- Provide the reader with practical examples based on likely "real life" scenarios.
- Practical transition instruments and forms--In every chapter.
- Create a "start up kit" that will assist future transition personnel in their first assignments.
- Three-section organization--Foundations, implementations, and contemporary issues. Allows material to be used altogether in a single course, or independently in three courses.
- Expands the applicability of the text to a wide range of course descriptions.
- Numerous instructional features--Key terms and questions, case studies, reflective thinking activities, leadership activities throughout each chapter.
- Focus student attention on key messages of each chapter to help assure understanding.
Publisher: Prentice Hall, Inc.
Year Published: 2003