Summary: This popular textbook helps imaging technology students acquire the technical and the interpersonal skills they need to provide expert patient care in the clinical environment. It also provides an excellent orientation to clinical work for the beginning student and serves as an up-to-date reference on patient care. Each chapter connects a specific topic with its applications for patient care. Skills that are essential for quality patient care in radiography, such as ...show moresafety, transfer, positioning, infection control, and patient assessment, are emphasized throughout. In addition, readers will find information on microbiology, emerging diseases, transcultural communication, ECGs, administering medications, and bedside radiography. Instructor resources are available; please contact your Elsevier sales representative for details.Edition/Copyright: 6TH 04
Key Features :
- Photo essays present step-by-step descriptions of procedures, with illustrations provided for key steps.
- Comprehensive introductory topics include historical review, department organization, job opportunities, radiation protection, clinical environment, and ethics.
- Patient care tips are integrated with procedural skills and descriptions, preparing the student to provide high-quality patient care along with technical Proficiency.
- Consistent, straightforward, engaging writing style breaks down complex concepts with clear explanations that increase student understanding.
- An expanded chapter on the radiographer as member of the health care team (Chapter 2) includes information on the health care delivery system, roles of other health care professionals, professionalism, and career opportunities.
- Critical thinking exercises, learning objectives, vocabulary list, and review questions focus the reader's attention on key information.
- Definitions for each chapters' vocabulary lists are provided in a glossary that assists student in learning key terms.
- Two-color design highlights text headings and illustrations, increasing readability and showing greater detail in illustrations.
New to this Edition :
- (chapter 12) includes updated and expanded material on CT angiography, MRI, mammography, and PET imaging.
- Many new illustrations enhance understanding of content and visual appeal.
- Each chapter contains learning objectives, vocabulary list, review questions, and critical thinking exercises.
- Case studies have been added where appropriate, focusing on medicolegal terms, standards, and applications, to encourage problem solving.
- New tables and charts, including normal patient temperatures ranges, normal range of values for common clinical lab tests, parenteral medication administration routes, and symptoms and treatment for reactions to contrast media provide current medical information in an easy-to-read format.
- New and pdated material is included on the following topics: Expanded information on cultural diversity. Updated information on the American Society of Radiologic Technologists and other professional organizations of imaging technologists includes information on recent changes in the organizational structure of ASRT, the scope of practice standards, and clinical laboratory test results relevant to the radiographer. Updated information on the employment outlook for radiologic technologists. Updated information about the Human Genome Project and the ethical implications of this information on professional practice. Cycle of infection has been expanded to include discussion of portal of exit and portal of entry along with other steps of the cycle. CDC revised guidelines for hand hygiene in 2002, including the use of alcohol rubs along with handwashing and use of needleless devices. New information on management of occupational exposures to bloodborne pathogens. Information on the 1997 OSHA proposed standard on TB. Expanded information on patient assessment, especially in the areas of common laboratory tests and diagnostic electrocardiography. Information on anticonvulsants and antiarrhythmics added to chapter on medication administration. Information on the Needlestick Safety and Prevention act of 2000, (effective in 2001), resulting in use of new devices and needleless systems. Information on gas plasma technology as a method of sterilizing equipment. Updated procedures for cystography and voiding cystourethrography and postoperative T-tube cholangiography. Expanded information on cultural diversity is included in the chapter on Professional Attitudes and Communications (chapter 3).
Publisher: C.V. Mosby Co.
Other Editions of Patient Care In Radiography: