This edition has also been released as:
ISBN13: 978-0534558680, 978-0534558864
ISBN10: 0534558682, 0534558860
Summary: Personal Nutrition, Fifth Edition is the most concise introductory nutrition textbook on the market. Twelve chapters in length, it is designed for use in quarter or semester schools where the introductory nutrition course is consumer focused. The text is the leader in the non-major segment of the introductory nutrition market. Personal Nutrition, Fifth Edition takes a traditional approach to the introductory nutrition course. It begins with a look at nutrition scienc ...show moree, followed by basics of diet planning, and then moves through the energy nutrients, vitamins and minerals. It includes a new separate chapter on alcohol, and also includes separate chapters on weight management, life cycle nutrition and food safety and world hunger. Each chapter in this text relates nutrition science directly to the students so they can understand and apply the information to their own lives.Edition/Copyright: 5TH 04
- Spotlight sections conclude each chapter and relate current issues and research to the chapter topics. They present a subject related to the chapter material in an engaging question-and-answer format that encourages critical thinking.
- NEW! Pictorial summaries found at the end of each chapter summarize the chapter's main points using corresponding images-ideal for visual learners!
- NEW! A new Spotlight on cultural foods "A Tapestry of Cultures and Cuisines" has been added to Chapter 2 to better represent the broadness of ethnic differences, food preferences, and dietary needs among consumers.
- NEW! New Nutrition Action topics include healthy fats ("Eating Healthy Fats"), exercise and aging "Strong People Stay Young"), and the impact of genetics on health ("Genetics and Health: Nurture vs. Nature"). Each of these new topics supports the text's focus on providing students with practical and proactive solutions to common nutritional pitfalls.
- NEW! "Savvy Diner" pieces are now directly keyed to the dietary guidelines, making the information accurate, relevant, and important in leading students to ways they can apply the tips to their own lives. For instance, "Home Food Safety" teaches student's how to prepare food safely in the kitchen at home.
- NEW! Completely updated, this new edition includes the latest research and data on DRIs, healthy fats, organic foods, athletes and supplements, nutrition and cancer, and more.
- "Ask Yourself" questions open each chapter and are designed to generate interest and encourage students to think ahead about the chapter material.
- "Nutrition Scorecards" give students the opportunity to explore how they can apply nutrition principles to their own lifestyles.
- "Nutrition Action" boxes are integrated throughout each chapter and describe proactive solutions to common nutritional pitfalls, providing information about what students can do to protect or enhance their nutrition status.
- "Savvy Diner" boxes provide food selection and preparation tips to illuminate the ways in which the concepts of nutrition can be applied to everyday life. Students learn about making healthy food and lifestyle choices in accordance with the Dietary Guidelines for Americans.
- "Nutrition on the Web" sections conclude each chapter and provide a listing of pertinent Web sites, encouraging students to look beyond the text for additional, useful information.
- Margin definitions help students master the chapter material and can be used for easy reference and review.
- NEW! A new and unique student Nutrition Action CD-ROM, packaged with every copy of the text, provides students with a new easy-to-use learning resource, including animations, lecture notes, quizzes, and a comprehensive glossary. Ideal for keeping students' attention, this CD-ROM illustrates key chapter concepts and helps students master the material.
- NEW! Based on reviewer and market demands, the topic of Alcohol has been added as a new Chapter 8, as well as in a new "Scorecard" (Alcohol Assessment Questionnaire) and "Savvy Diner" (What is a Drink?), providing students with important information on the effects of alcohol, its relationship to nutrition and health, and allowing students to make informed and responsible decisions.
Publisher: Wadsworth, Inc
Other Editions of Personal Nutrition / With CD: