ISBN13:978-0130941220 ISBN10: 0130941220 Edition/Copyright:02 Cover: Paperback Publisher:Prentice Hall, Inc. Published: 10/28/2002 International: No
Philosophy of Sport: Critical Readings, Crucial Issues is a collection of readings on topical issues in philosophy of sport that draws principally from philosophy, but contains some writings from sociological and psychological literature with a philosophical slant. In addition to the introduction, the anthology contains fortythree readings on diverse and contemporary philosophical issues in sport from different perspectives. Each article, on its own, invites critical discussion.
The readings are grouped into five chapters. Chapter One is on the nature of sport and contains eight essays with diverse theses. Chapter Two comprises four essays on aesthetics and sport. The third chapter, on ethical issues, discusses sportsmanship, cheating, winning, violence, and performanceenhancing drugs. There are fourteen readings in this section. Chapter Four, dealing with epistemological issues, contains a reading that addresses assessment of moral character in sport and a second that addresses streak playing. Chapter Five, containing fifteen readings, discusses societal issues and sport. The topics are heroism, gender, race, pedagogy, and sport in society.
I have put this anthology together so that it will be serviceable to those inexperienced in philosophy as well as to more advanced students of philosophy. First, to facilitate understanding, I introduce all readings with some prefatory remarks. For difficult readings, these remarks include a helpful summary of the main line of argument. At the end of each reading, I offer a few questions or comments to stimulate critical analysis. In addition, there is a glossary of key terms at the back of the book.
View Table of Contents
1. Why Study Philosophy of Sport?, M. Andrew Holowchak.
I. THE NATURE OF THE SPORT.
2. Selections from Homo Ludens, John Huizinga. 3. The Nature of Sport: A Definitional Effort, John W. Loy, Jr. 4. Tricky Triad: Games, Play, and Sports, Bernard Suits. 5. Triad Trickery: Playing with Sports and Games, Klaus B. Meier. 6. A Matter of Life and Death: Some Thoughts on the Nature of Sport, Jeffrey O. Segrave. 7. Practices and Prudence, W. Miller Brown. 8. Moral Liberalism and the Atrophy of Sport: Autonomy, Desire, and Social Irresponsibility, M. Andrew Holowchak. 9. Is Sport Unique? A Question of Definability, S.K. Wertz.
II. AESTHETICS AND SPORT.
10. The Well-Played Game: Notes Towards an Aesthetics of Sport, E.F. Kaelin. 11. The Aesthetic in Sport, David Best. 12. Beauty, Sport, and Gender, J.M. Boxill. 13. Differences Between Sport and Art, Christopher Cordner.
III. ETHICS AND SPORT.
14. Three Approaches Toward an Understanding of Sportsmanship, Peter J. Arnold. 15. Sportsmanship and Fairness in the Pursuit of Victory, Robert Simon.
16. Can Cheaters Play the Game?, Craig K. Lehman. 17. Fair Play: Historical Anachronism or Topical Ideal? Sigmund Loland.
18. Where's the Merit if the Best Man Wins?, David Carr. 19. The Overemphasis on Winning: A Philosophical Look, Joan Hundley. 20. On Winning and Athletic Superiority, Nicholas Dixon. 21. The Dark Side of Competition, D. Stanley Eitzen.
22. Into the End Zone for a Touchdown: A Psychoanalytic Consideration of American Football, Alan Dundes. 23. Violence and Aggression in Contemporary Sport, Jim Parry. 24. Sports and Speciesism, Maurice L. Wade.
25. Paternalism, Drugs, and the Nature of Sports, W. M. Brown. 26. On Performance-Enhancing Substances and the Unfair Advantage Argument, Roger Gardner. 27. 'Aretism' and Pharmacological Ergogenic Aids in Sport: Taking a Shot at the Use of Steroids, M. Andrew Holowchak.
IV. EPISTEMOLOGICAL ISSUES IN SPORT.
28. On Reaching First Base with a 'Science' of Moral Development in Sports: Problems with Scientific Objectivity and Reductivism, Russell W. Gough. 29. An Epistemologist Looks at the Hot Hand in Sport, Stephen D. Hales.
V. SPORT AND SOCIETY.
30. Is Our Admiration for Sports Heroes Fascistoid?, Torbjörn Tännsjö. 31. Sports, Fascism, and the Market, Claudio M. Tamburrini. 32. Television Sports and the Sacrificial Hero, John Izod.
33. Women in Masculine Sports, B.D. Postow, Journal of the Philosophy of Sport. 34. Title IX and Gender Equity, Jan Boxill. 35. The Men's Cultural Centre: Sports and Dynamic of Women's Oppression/Men's Repression, Bruce Kidd. 36. Title IX: Equality for Women's Sports? Leslie P. Francis.
37. African Speed, African Endurance, Amby Burfoot. 38. Racial Difference in Athletics: What's Ethics Got to Do with It?, Albert Mosley.
39. Education for Peace in Sports Education, Frans DeWachter. 40. Virtue Lost: Courage in Sport, John Corlett. 41. Aggression, Gender, and Sport: Reflections on Sport as a Means of Moral Education, M. Andrew Holowchak.
Sport in Society.
42. Postscript: Sport in the Larger Scheme of Things, William J. Morgan. 43. Democracy, Education, and Sport, Peter J. Arnold. 44. Sports and the Making of National Identities: A Moral View, William J. Morgan.
Glossary of Key Terms. Suggestions for Further Reading.
List Price: $127.20
Used Currently Sold Out
New Currently Sold Out
Due back 12/18/2015
Save $100.71 (79%)
Free return shipping
21-day satisfaction guarantee
CDs or access codes may not be included
Marketplace sellers starting at $55.27
7 more offers below.
Additional Sellers for Philosophy of Sport : Critical Readings, Crucial Issues
Just for you, we curate a growing list of independent booksellers, giving you even MORE choices when shopping for your textbooks.
Keep in mind: Marketplace orders do NOT qualify for free shipping.More about the Marketplace
Barnes & Noble.com Various Shipping Locations, USA
Brand new, ships from the closest shipping location to your shipping address!
$55.27 +$3.99 s/h
firstclassbooks.com Little Rock, AR
Used books cannot guarantee unused access codes or working CD's! Ships fast. Expedited shipping 2-4 business days; Standard shipping 7-14 business days. Ships from USA!
$61.19 +$3.99 s/h
Penntext Downingtown, PA
This Book has Some Wrinkled Pages. May have minimal notes/highlighting, minimal wear/tear. Please contact us if you have any Questions.
$109.95 +$3.99 s/h
omgtextbooks Pueblo West, CO
Upper Saddle River, NJ 2002 Trade paperback Fair. Trade paperback (US). Glued binding. 528 p.
$115.91 +$3.99 s/h
indoo Avenel, NJ
$118.99 +$3.99 s/h
SUPER BOOKS Fort Mill, SC
Buy with Confidence. Excellent Customer Support. We ship from multiple US locations. No CD, DVD or Access Code Included.
$122.12 +$3.99 s/h
bargainforce Chicago, IL
No comments from the seller
Free Shipping Get Free Shipping on orders over $25 (not including Rental and Marketplace). Order arrives in 5-10 business days.
Need it faster? We offer fast, flat-rate expedited shipping options.
Not the right book for you? We'll gladly take it back within 30 days.
To return an eTextbook:
Your eTextbook is non-returnable once it's been activated. You must contact us about returning your eTextbook before you activate it.
Returns are accepted within 30 days of the purchase date on your order confirmation.
This book qualifies for guaranteed cash back! Buy it now for , then:
Sell it back by:
Guaranteed cash back:
Cost of this book after cash back:
Take advantage of Guaranteed Cash Back. Send your book to us in good condition before the end of the buyback period, we'll send YOU a check, and you'll pay less for your textbooks!
If you find this book for less on Amazon.com (direct from Amazon, not marketplace sellers), we'll match it.
In our warehouse, waiting to ship directly to you.
We hand-inspect every used textbook to make sure it's in good condition.
Buy it now. Sell it later!
Sell this textbook for cash!
When you're done with this book, sell it back to Textbooks.com. In addition to the best possible buyback price, you'll get an extra 10% cash back just for being a customer.
We buy good-condition used textbooks year 'round, 24/7. No matter where you bought it, Textbooks.com will buy your textbooks for the most cash.
We hand-inspect every one of our used textbooks to ensure good condition.
Our used textbooks do NOT have:
Missing or torn pages
Missing or torn cover
Torn or damaged binding
A broken spine
This textbook has never been used.
Due to the size of eTextbooks, a high-speed internet connection (cable modem, DSL, LAN) is required for download stability and speed. Your connection can be wired or wireless.
Being online is not required for reading an eTextbook after successfully downloading it. You must only be connected to the Internet duringthe download process.
XP or Windows 7 (32 or 64 running in 32 bit mode), or Mac OS 10.6 or above
At least 512 MB RAM, 600 mHZ processor, and 40 MB of hard drive space (75MB for Mac OS)
What is the Marketplace? It's another way for you to get the right price on the books you need. We approved every Marketplace vendor to sell their books on Textbooks.com, so you know they're all reliable.
What are Marketplace shipping options? Marketplace items do not qualify for free shipping. When ordering from the Marketplace, please specify whether you want the seller to send your book Standard ($3.99/item) or Express ($6.99/item). To get free shipping over $25, just order directly from Textbooks.com instead of through the Marketplace.
FREE UPS 2nd Day Air Terms
Rental and Marketplace items are excluded. Offer is valid from 1/21/2013 12:00PM to 1/23/2013 11:59AM CST. Your order must be placed by 12 Noon CST to be processed on the same day. Minimum order value is $100.00 excluding Rental and Marketplace items. To redeem this offer, select "FREE UPS 2ND DAY AIR" at checkout. Offer not is not valid on previous orders.