Summary: Written by an outstanding scholar, Phonics They Use seamlessly weaves together the complex and varied strategic approaches needed to help students develop reading and spelling skills. Edition/Copyright: 4TH 05
Long-positioned and long-respected as a bestseller by both pre-service and practicing teachers of reading, this affordable text offers a coherent collection of practical, hands-on activities that provide a framework for teaching phonics.
The Fourth Edition continue ...show mores to emphasize that what matters is not how much phonics students know but what they actually use when they need phonics for decoding a new word, for reading and spelling a new word, and for writing. Rather than subscribe to a single theory, Pat Cunningham stresses a balanced reading program--incorporating a variety of strategic approaches--tied to the individual needs of children. This text is an invaluable resource for any new teacher or veteran teacher in search of new ideas as this new edition is packed with new activities and strategies for teaching reading.
New To This Edition
- Chapter 1 includes material on shared reading of predictable books and making and using predictable charts. It also includes information about writing to help children develop print concepts, phonological and phonemic awareness, and learn some concrete words, letter names, and sounds, as well as to understand what reading and writing are for.
- A word list--the Nifty Thrifty Fifty (in Ch. 11)--provides common roots, prefixes, suffixes, and spelling changes, which are the building blocks of many polysyllabic words in English.
- Using Words You Know activities in every chapter use popular brand names, showing children how to use words they know to read and spell other words.
- New organization of chapters! Rather than having four long chapters, there are now 15 shorter chapters on specific topics, making the material even more manageable and accessible for classroom use.
- Each chapter has been thoroughly updated. The best activities have been culled out and many new ideas and activities have been incorporated into each chapter.
- Full chapter (Ch. 3) on developing phonological and phonemic awareness, includes activities designed to develop the concept of rhyme and teach blending and segmenting, as well as activities using children's names.
- New chapter on Fluency (Ch. 5) includes classroom-tested ways to develop fluency, as well as a Fluency Development Lesson that can be easily included in any teaching setting.
- New chapter on Assessment (Ch. 13) includes assessment devices which focus on what children know about phonics and what they actually use while reading and writing.
- Full chapter on the research in which the text is grounded (Ch. 14) summarizes the pertinent research and reflects the most up-to-date information about phonics.
- Unique chapter for teachers only (Ch. 15) summarizes some of the major jargon teachers are expected to know.
- Chapter 9 presents two activities--"Word Sorting" and "Hunting" and "What Looks Right?"--to help children become sensitive to spelling patterns. The final section in Chapter 9 describes how all the decoding and spelling activities are multilevel.
Publisher: Allyn & Bacon, Inc.
Year Published: 2005
Other Editions of Phonics They Use : Words for Reading and Writing: