Summary: For the calculus-based General Physics course primarily taken by engineers and science majors (including physics majors). Edition/Copyright: 3RD 00
This long-awaited and extensive revision maintains Giancoli's reputation for creating carefully crafted, highly accurate and precise physics texts. Physics for Scientists and Engineers combines outstanding pedagogy with a clear and direct narrative and applications that draw the student into the physics. The new edition also features an ...show more unrivaled suite of media and on-line resources that enhance the understanding of physics.
- Strong Problem Solving Guidance
- Developing the ability to solve a variety of problems is crucial in the calculus-based physics course. The Third Edition addresses this need in several ways. Here are a few:
- Conceptual Examples--foster development of students' reasoning skills and promote the understanding of the basic underlying concepts. Ex. Pg. 83
- Estimating Examples--give students insight into how to quickly make approximations and order-of-magnitude estimates. Ex. Pg. 81
- Problem-Solving Boxes--outline a methodology for solving problems. Ex. Pg. 89
- End-of-Chapter Problems have been greatly increased--30% more than in the Second Edition; many old problems have been rewritten or revised for clarity. Problems are again ranked by difficulty and arranged by section.
- General Problems account for approximately 30% of all end-of chapter problems--These problems are unranked and not arranged by section number.
- Outstanding Pedagogy
- Physics is a difficult subject that can be made more accessible through the use of pedagogical tools. The new edition features an abundance of these including:
- Marginal Notes--highlight important or confusing concepts, provide problem solving hints, or point out interesting applications. The Great Laws of Physics are emphasized in margin notes.
- Page Layout--A great effort was made to keep important derivations and arguments on facing pages so students do not have to repeatedly turn back and forth, keeping the important physics directly in front of them.
- Increased emphasis on free-body diagrams.
- Increased use of graphs, especially in kinematics.
- More incorporation of symmetry--With an emphasis on its usefulness in problem-solving.
- Stunning New Art Program
- In physics, the ability to create sketches and diagrams is a critical problem-solving skill. Many students are also visual learners, and clear, instructive photographs and illustrations are necessary to aid understanding of the physics.
- More diagrams--nearly twice as many diagrams as the previous edition. All graphs and photographs have been carefully redone using full color.
- Many photos are printed with vectors superimposed in a fifth color to point out the relevant physics.
- Clear and Direct Narrative
- Clarity is crucial for student understanding. The narrative is clear and direct, and numerous topics have been reorganized or rewritten for maximum clarity.
- Many new topics have been incorporated--such as: the Otto cycle, lens combinations, three-phase alternating current, and many more!
- NEW--New developments and discoveries in physics have been added including--the Hubble space telescope, age and inflation of the universe, and distant planets.
- Modern physics topics are often discussed within the framework of classical physics where appropriate--Topics that are woven into classical physics include: superconductivity, nuclear collisions, atomic distances, sizes of stars, and more.
- Relevant and Engaging Applications
- The calculus-based physics course serves a wide variety of students from different fields. Giancoli makes physics more engaging to students by applying it to their everyday activities and interests. Applications in engineering, related scientific fields, and everyday life are expertly woven into the narrative, as well as provided in the Examples, Questions and Problems.
- NEW--Hundreds of new applications woven through the text including--Air Bags, Bungee Jumping, Autofocusing Camera, Ultrasound Imaging, CD Players, Computer Memory, Power in Household Circuits, and many, many more!
- Unrivaled Media Program
- In physics, technology offers a powerful tool to illustrate important concepts and aid in problem-solving. Prentice Hall physics continues to set the standard for integrating the power of new media technologies inside and outside the classroom. The Third Edition offers a suite of media products designed to benefit both students and instructors. At the heart of this integrated media package is our dedicated, award-winning text-specific Website with classroom management system. This innovative on-line resource provides students with a wealth of activities and exercises for each text chapter. Features on the site include:
- --Practice Questions, Destinations (links to related sites), NetSearch keywords, and algorithmically generated numeric Practice Problems.
- --Physlet Problems (Java-applet simulations).
- --Warmups and Puzzles essay questions and Applications.
- --Ranking Task Exercises.
- Using Prentice Hall CW technology, the site grades and scores all objective questions, and results can be automatically e-mailed directly to the instructors if so desired. Instructors can also create customized syllabi on-line and link directly to activities on the Giancoli website.
- Material on CW available in WebCT, CourseCompass, and Blackboard.
Publisher: Prentice Hall, Inc.
Year Published: 2000