ISBN13:978-0321035714 ISBN10: 0321035712 This edition has also been released as: ISBN13: 978-0321051950 ISBN10: 0321051955
Edition/Copyright: 3RD 99 Cover: Hardback Publisher: Addison-Wesley Longman, Inc. Published: 01/06/1999 International: No
View Author Bio
Pasachoff, Jay M. : Williams College
Jay M. Pasachoff is Field Memorial Professor of Astronomy and Director of the Hopkins Observatory at Williams College. His work as author of Astronomy: From the Earth to the Universe, now in its fifth edition, led to his teaming with Rich Wolfson to write Physics for Scientists and Engineers, Third Edition. He has also collaborated on a text entitled, Invitation to Physics.
Pasachoff is on the Executive Committee of the Forum on Education of the American Physical Society, is Chair of the Astronomy Divison of the American Association for the Advancement of Science, and is Chair of the Working Group on Eclipses of the International Astronomical Union.
View Table of Contents
PART I. MECHANICS
1. Doing Physics. 2. Motion in a Straight Line. 3. The Vector Description of Motion. 4. Motion in More Than One Direction. 5. Force and Motion. 6. Using Newton's Laws. 7. Work, Energy and Power. 8. Conservation of Energy. 9. Gravitation. 10. Systems of Particles. 11. Collisions. 12. Rotational Motion. 13. Rotational Vectors and Angular Momentum. 14. Static Equilibrium.
PART II. OSCILLATIONS, WAVES AND FLUIDS
15. Oscillatory Motion. 16. Wave Motion. 17. Sound and other Wave Phenomena. 18. Fluid Motion.
PART III. THERMODYNAMICS
19. Temperature and Heat. 20. The Thermal Behavior of Matter. 21. Heat, Work, and the First Law of Thermodynamics. 22. The Second Law of Thermodynamics.
PART IV. ELECTROMAGNETISM
23. Electric Charge, Force and Field. 24. Gauss's Law. 25. Electric Potential. 26. Electrostatic Energy and Capacitors. 27. Electric Current. 28. Electric Circuits. 29. The Magnetic Field. 30. Sources of the Magnetic Field. 31. Electromagnetic Induction. 32. Inductance and Magnetic Energy. 33. Alternating-Current Circuits. 34. Maxwell's Equations and Electromagnetic Waves.
35. Reflection and Refraction. 36. Image Formation and Optical Instruments. 37. Interference and Diffraction.
PART VI. MODERN PHYSICS
38. Relativity. 39. Light and Matter : Waves or Particles? 40. Quantum Mechanics. 41. Atomic Physics. 42. Molecular and Solid-State Physics. 43. Nuclear Physics. 44. Nuclear Energy : Fission and Fusion. 45. From Quarks to the Cosmos.
Free Shipping Get Free Shipping on orders over $25 (not including Rental and Marketplace). Order arrives in 5-10 business days.
Need it faster? We offer fast, flat-rate expedited shipping options.
Not the right book for you? We'll gladly take it back within 30 days.
To return an eTextbook:
Your eTextbook is non-returnable once it's been activated. You must contact us about returning your eTextbook before you activate it.
Returns are accepted within 30 days of the purchase date on your order confirmation.
This book qualifies for guaranteed cash back! Buy it now for , then:
Sell it back by:
Guaranteed cash back:
Cost of this book after cash back:
Take advantage of Guaranteed Cash Back. Send your book to us in good condition before the end of the buyback period, we'll send YOU a check, and you'll pay less for your textbooks!
If you find this book for less on Amazon.com (direct from Amazon, not marketplace sellers), we'll match it.
In our warehouse, waiting to ship directly to you.
We hand-inspect every used textbook to make sure it's in good condition.
Buy it now. Sell it later!
Sell this textbook for cash!
When you're done with this book, sell it back to Textbooks.com. In addition to the the best possible buyback price, you'll get an extra 10% cash back just for being a customer.
We buy good-condition used textbooks year 'round, 24/7. No matter where you bought it, Textbooks.com will buy your textbooks for the most cash.
We hand-inspect every one of our used textbooks to ensure good condition.
Our used textbooks do NOT have:
Missing or torn pages
Missing or torn cover
Torn or damaged binding
A broken spine
This textbook has never been used.
Due to the size of eTextbooks, a high-speed internet connection (cable modem, DSL, LAN) is required for download stability and speed. Your connection can be wired or wireless.
Being online is not required for reading an eTextbook after successfully downloading it. You must only be connected to the Internet during the download process.
Windows XP, Windows Vista or Mac OS X 10.3 or above
At least 280 MB RAM, a 600 mHZ processor and 110 MB of hard drive space
1024x768 (or larger) screen resolution
What is the Marketplace? It's another way for you to get the right price on the books you need. We approved every Marketplace vendor to sell their books on Textbooks.com, so you know they're all reliable.
What are Marketplace shipping options? Marketplace items do not qualify for free shipping. When ordering from the Marketplace, please specify whether you want the seller to send your book Standard ($3.99/item) or Express ($6.99/item). To get free shipping over $25, just order directly from Textbooks.com instead of through the Marketplace.
FREE UPS 2nd Day Air Terms
Rental and Marketplace items are excluded. Offer is valid from 1/21/2013 12:00PM to 1/23/2013 11:59AM CST. Your order must be placed by 12 Noon CST to be processed on the same day. Minimum order value is $100.00 excluding Rental and Marketplace items. To redeem this offer, select "FREE UPS 2ND DAY AIR" at checkout. Offer not is not valid on previous orders.
Compared to the prices of new and used, sold directly from Amazon.com (not marketplace sellers). If you find Amazon.com directly selling the textbook for a lower price, WE'LL MATCH IT...GUARANTEED. details