Summary: Co-authors Morrison and Owen are leading researchers in planetary astronomy today, and this book reflects their expertise and excitement for the subject. Drawing on recent findings, this authoritative, up-to-date text gives a straightforward account of our solar system. Written in an informal style with minimal use of mathematics, this book is ideal for beginning non-science college students. Edition/Copyright: 3RD 03
Since publication of the last edition of The Planetary System, t ...show morehe pace of planetary exploration and new discoveries has accelerated. Also, the new multidisciplinary field of astrobiology has emerged and now provides a fruitful perspective for the study of the origin, evolution, and distribution of life within our solar system and other planetary systems. As scientists who have participated in the definition and development of astrobiology, lead-author Morrison and Owen have integrated these new perspectives, as well as many other discoveries, into this new edition to make it once again undisputedly the most authoritative, up-to-date, and exciting planetary text available.
New To This Edition
- An informal writing style with minimal use of mathematics makes The Planetary System ideal for non-science students taking introductory astronomy.
- Written by two leading researchers in planetary astronomy, the text provides the most authoritative and up-to-date introduction available on the subject.
- The authors' enthusiasm for recent developments in the field is infectious, and students share the excitement of scientific discovery.
- Updated! Significant and wide-ranging recent discoveries in planetary science have been incorporated throughout the text.
- Substantial new material has been added on asteroids (especially Eros), comets, Mars (following the Mars Pathfinder and Mars Global Surveyor missions, and the on-going analysis of the Allan Hills meteorite), the large satellites of Jupiter (following the Galileo mission), Kuiper Belt objects, and integration of information on other planetary systems into the origin of our solar system.
- Two new chapters combine ground-breaking discoveries of other planetary systems and exciting developments in the new field of astrobiology.
Publisher: Addison-Wesley Longman, Inc.