Summary: This best-selling and highly respected text provides a comprehensive introduction to all aspects of the British polity and political system. Politics UK 5e covers all of the core elements of an introductory undergraduate politics course - the constitution, social context, political ideology, parliament, Prime Minister and departments, elections and voting behaviour, the media, pressure groups, local government and the judiciary as well as the major policy areas. The mat ...show moreerial is presented in a consistently clear and lively style, constantly challenging the student and raising thought-provoking issues. Politics UK 5e has now been updated to include details of the 2005 general election.Edition/Copyright: 5TH 06
New To This Edition
- Covers the core elements of introductory undergraduate and A-level British politics courses - the constitution, parliament, Prime Ministers and departments, elections and voting behaviour, the media, local government, pressure groups and the judiciary.
- Includes additional coverage of the wider context of British political life, the policy making process and a number of key policy areas and political issues, including economic management, the environment, law and order and Europe.
- Concluding Comments at the end of each Part are written by key political commentators to prompt and aid discussion.
- Attractive 2-colour seaside-themed design throughout.
- Impressive pedagogy includes Learning objectives, Introductions, Summaries, Discussion points, Further reading and quotes.
- Text boxes feature 'ideas and perspectives', 'facts', 'examples', 'biographies', 'debates' and 'chronologies'.
- New contributions from Anthony Giddens, Tony Write, Peter Riddell, Stuart Weir, Peter Kemp, Lord Burns, Graham Mather, Simon Heffer and Boris Johnson - ensures text maintains its lively, finger-on-the-pulse feel.
- Thoroughly updated with a style emphasis on 'globalisation' and 'Europeanisation' - enables students to focus on key topical issues.
- Visually engaging - includes over 40 brand new cartoons by The Observer's Chris Riddell and additional photos where relevant break up the text and make the book more interesting for students.
- Fuller attention paid to devolution in the relevant chapters and a Concluding Comment relating to this topic - informs students of the latest developments in this important area.
- Greater emphasis on constitutional and electoral reform over the years in the relevant chapters and a concluding comment on the British State.
- Also includes reference to core executives and quangos.
- Incorporates more on the concept of crown and the extent to which it is employed by the government as the legal basis for ministers' actions
- Globalisation chapter includes dedicated pages on Europe.
- The biographies and mini-biographies have all been updated.
- The Companion Website has been updated and there is greater emphasis and reference to the site throughout the book.
Publisher: Longman, Inc.