Summary: Appropriate for upper level undergraduate and graduate level courses in Chemical Engineering, Chemistry, and Materials Science and Engineering. It is also useful as a reference for Engineers and Chemists working in the synthetic plastics and chemical process industries. Edition/Copyright: 2ND 03
This book presents a comprehensive, up-to-date review of the current state of polymer science and technology and emerging areas of growth. In addition to synthetic polymer chemistry, the bo ...show moreok also covers the properties of polymers in solutions and in the melt, rubber, and solid states, surveying all important categories of plastics. It includes detailed coverage of both polymer processing principles and the latest polymer applications in a wide range of industries--including medicine, biotechnology, chemicals, and electronics.
- NEW--Expanded coverage of important topics in polymer science and engineering--Including polymer synthesis such as metallocene catalysis, atom-transfer radical polymerization, the use of supercritical fluids as a polymerization medium, the genetic engineering of polymers, nanocomposites, rubber elasticity, and degradation and recycling.
- Introduces students to the latest and most important topics in polymer science.
- NEW--Example calculations, homework problems, and bibliographic references.
- Provides students with greater pedagogical resources for a deeper understanding of the subject matter.
- NEW--Expanded discussion of crystallinity and greater coverage of characterization methods--Including established techniques such as microhardness and tribology and new instrumental methods including temperature-modulated DSC.
- Gives students a greater understanding of these topics.
- Methods of synthesis and properties of major polymer groups--As well as extensive coverage of commodity thermoplastics and fibers, elastomers and thermosets, and engineering and specialty polymers.
- Provides students with practical applications of the topics discussed.
- Fundamental principles of polymer blends and composites--Explores polymer engineering principles including rheology, processing, and engineering applications of polymers.
- Introduces students to practical, real world applications of polymer science.
Publisher: Prentice Hall, Inc.