Summary: Popular and compelling, this reader provides biographical accounts of key players in America's political history. The narratives in the text focus on individuals and the roles they play in political institutions and events, adding a human element to the American political scene. Each of the seven chapters focuses on a different branch or function of the government. Documents provide thought-provoking and intimate accounts of politics in action that reveal details o ...show moren how policy decisions are made, the personal choices of politicians, battles among members of Congress, and use of the media to win elections. Edition/Copyright: 3RD 00
- New! Sixty percent of the readings are new.
- New! The text examines current political figures, including Bill Clinton, Madeleine Albright, Alan Greenspan, Al Gore, and George W. Bush.
- New! A chapter on civil rights and liberties covers the impact of political actors in four controversial issues: technology and privacy, gay rights, abortion, and affirmative action.
- New! Expanded coverage of women in politics includes profiles of Hillary Clinton, Ruth Bader Ginsburg, and Pat Schroeder.
- New! Discussion questions follow each reading.
- Key pedagogical features include an annotated table of contents, a topic correlation chart, chapter overviews, and introductions to readings.
Publisher: Houghton Mifflin Harcourt
Year Published: 2000