ISBN13:978-0130415219 ISBN10: 0130415219 Edition/Copyright: 2ND 02 Cover: Hardback Publisher: Prentice Hall, Inc. Published: 07/28/2001 International: No
View Author Bio
Sincich, Terry : University of South Florida
Levine, David M. : Baruch College
Stephan, David : Baruch College
View Table of Contents
Microsoft Excel Primer. MINITAB Primer.
1. Introduction: Statistics and Data. What Is Statistics? Types of Data. Descriptive vs. Inferential Statistics. Collecting Data. Random Sampling. Other Types of Samples. Ethical Issues and Other Concerns in Statistical Applications. What Readers Need to Know about Microsoft Excel, the PHStat Add-In, and Minitab for this textbook.
2. Exploring Data with Graphs and Tables. The Objective of Data Description. Describing a Single Qualitative Variable: Frequency Tables, Bar Graphs and Pie Charts. Describing a Single Qualitative Variable: Frequency Tables, Dot Plots, Stem-and-Leaf Displays and Histograms. Exploring the Relationship between Two Qualitative Variables: Cross-Classification Tables and Side-by-Side Bar Charts. Exploring the Relationship between Two Quantitative Variables: Scatterplots. Proper Graphical Presentation.
3. Exploring Quantitative Data with Numerical Descriptive Measures. Objectives of Numerical Descriptive Measures. Summation Notation. Measures of Central Tendency: Mean, Median, and Mode. Measures of Variation: Range, Variance, and Standard Deviation. Interpreting the Standard Deviation. Measures of Relative Standing: Percentiles and z-scores. Methods for Detecting Outliers. A Measure of Association: Correlation. Numerical Descriptive Measures for Populations.
4. Probability: Basic Concepts. The Role of Probability in Statistics. Experiments, Events, and The Probability of an Event. Probability Rules for Mutually Exclusive Events. The Combinatorial Rule for Counting Simple Events. Conditional Probability and Independence. The Additive and Multiplicative Laws of Probability.
5. Discrete Probability Distributions. Random Variables. Probability Models for Discrete Random Variables. The Binomial Probability Distribution. The Poisson Probability Distribution. The Hypergeometric Probability Distribution.
6. Normal Probability Distributions. Probability Models for Continuous Random Variables. The Normal Probability Distribution. Descriptive Methods for Assessing Normality. The Normal Approximation to the Binomial Distribution. Sampling Distributions. The Sampling Distribution of the Sample Mean and the Central Limit Theorem.
7. Estimation of Population Parameters Using Confidence Intervals: One Sample. Point Estimators. Estimation of a Population Mean: Normal (z) Statistic. Estimation of a Population Mean: Student's (t) Statistic. Estimation of a Population Proportion. Choosing the Sample Size. Estimation of a Population Variance.
8. Testing Hypotheses about Population Parameters: One Sample. The Relationship between Hypothesis Tests and Confidence Intervals. Hypothesis-Testing Methodology: Forming Hypotheses. Hypothesis-Testing Methodology: Test Statistics and Rejection Regions. Guidelines for Determining the Target Parameter. Testing a Population Mean. Reporting Test Results: p-Values. Testing a Population Proportion. Testing a Population Variance. Testing Category Probabilities for a Qualitative Variable. Potential Hypothesis-Testing Pitfalls and Ethical Issues.
9. Inferences about Population Parameters: Two Samples. Determining the Target Parameter. Comparing Two Population Means: Independent Samples. Comparing Two Population Means: Matched Pairs. Comparing Two Population Proportions: Independent Samples. Comparing Two Population Proportions: Contingency Tables. Comparing Two Population Variances. A Nonparametric Test for Comparing Two Populations: Independent Samples. A Nonparametric Test for Comparing Two Populations: Matched Pairs.
10. Regression Analysis. Introduction to Regression Models. The Straight-Line Model Simple Linear Regression. Estimating and Interpreting the Model Parameters. Model Assumptions. Measuring Variability around the Least Squares. Inferences about the Slope. Inferences about the Correlation Coefficient. The Coefficient of Determination. Using the Model for Estimation and Prediction. Computations in Simple Linear Regression. Residual Analysis: Checking the Assumptions. Multiple Regression Models. A Nonparametric Test for Rank Correlation. Pitfalls in Regression and Ethical Issues.
11. Analysis of Variance. Experimental Design. ANOVA Fundamentals. Completely Randomized Designs: One-Way ANOVA. Follow-Up Analysis: Multiple Comparisons of Means. Factorial Designs: Two-Way ANOVA. Checking ANOVA Assumptions. A Nonparametric Test for Comparing Populations: Independent Samples.
Appendix A: Review of Arithmetic and Algebra. Appendix B: Statistical Tables.
Free Shipping Get Free Shipping on orders over $25 (not including Rental and Marketplace). Order arrives in 5-10 business days.
Need it faster? We offer fast, flat-rate expedited shipping options.
Not the right book for you? We'll gladly take it back within 30 days.
To return an eTextbook:
Your eTextbook is non-returnable once it's been activated. You must contact us about returning your eTextbook before you activate it.
Returns are accepted within 30 days of the purchase date on your order confirmation.
This book qualifies for guaranteed cash back! Buy it now for , then:
Sell it back by:
Guaranteed cash back:
Cost of this book after cash back:
Take advantage of Guaranteed Cash Back. Send your book to us in good condition before the end of the buyback period, we'll send YOU a check, and you'll pay less for your textbooks!
If you find this book for less on Amazon.com (direct from Amazon, not marketplace sellers), we'll match it.
In our warehouse, waiting to ship directly to you.
We hand-inspect every used textbook to make sure it's in good condition.
Buy it now. Sell it later!
Sell this textbook for cash!
When you're done with this book, sell it back to Textbooks.com. In addition to the the best possible buyback price, you'll get an extra 10% cash back just for being a customer.
We buy good-condition used textbooks year 'round, 24/7. No matter where you bought it, Textbooks.com will buy your textbooks for the most cash.
We hand-inspect every one of our used textbooks to ensure good condition.
Our used textbooks do NOT have:
Missing or torn pages
Missing or torn cover
Torn or damaged binding
A broken spine
This textbook has never been used.
Due to the size of eTextbooks, a high-speed internet connection (cable modem, DSL, LAN) is required for download stability and speed. Your connection can be wired or wireless.
Being online is not required for reading an eTextbook after successfully downloading it. You must only be connected to the Internet during the download process.
Windows XP, Windows Vista or Mac OS X 10.3 or above
At least 280 MB RAM, a 600 mHZ processor and 110 MB of hard drive space
1024x768 (or larger) screen resolution
What is the Marketplace? It's another way for you to get the right price on the books you need. We approved every Marketplace vendor to sell their books on Textbooks.com, so you know they're all reliable.
What are Marketplace shipping options? Marketplace items do not qualify for free shipping. When ordering from the Marketplace, please specify whether you want the seller to send your book Standard ($3.99/item) or Express ($6.99/item). To get free shipping over $25, just order directly from Textbooks.com instead of through the Marketplace.
FREE UPS 2nd Day Air Terms
Rental and Marketplace items are excluded. Offer is valid from 1/21/2013 12:00PM to 1/23/2013 11:59AM CST. Your order must be placed by 12 Noon CST to be processed on the same day. Minimum order value is $100.00 excluding Rental and Marketplace items. To redeem this offer, select "FREE UPS 2ND DAY AIR" at checkout. Offer not is not valid on previous orders.
Compared to the prices of new and used, sold directly from Amazon.com (not marketplace sellers). If you find Amazon.com directly selling the textbook for a lower price, WE'LL MATCH IT...GUARANTEED. details