Summary: Prealgebra and Introductory Algebra, 1e is a new offering from a trusted author team and publisher. This text covers all of the core material that is typically found in both a Prealgebra and an Introductory Algebra course, all in one textbook. And, as you have come to expect when you see the Bittinger name, Prealgebra and Introductory Algebra, 1e offers you and your students the Bittinger hallmark five-step problem-solving process, a clear easy-to-read writing style, ...show more real-data applications, and exceptional design and artwork to make learning interesting and fun.Edition/Copyright: 04
- Student-oriented Applications This text encourages students to see and interpret the mathematics that appears every day in the world around them. Throughout the writing process, an energetic search for real-data applications was conducted, and the result is a wide variety of examples and exercises that connect the mathematical content with the real world.
- Chapter Pretests allow students to test themselves before beginning each chapter, helping them to identify material that may be familiar as well as targeting material that may be new or especially challenging.
- Objective Boxes At the beginning of each section, a boxed list of objectives is keyed by letter not only to section subheadings, as well as to the exercises in the Pretest, section-level exercise sets, and Summary and Review, and the answers to the Chapter Test and Cumulative Review questions. This correlation enables students to easily find appropriate review material if they need help with a particular exercise or skill.
- Caution Boxes Found at relevant points throughout the text, boxes with the "Caution!" heading warn students of common misconceptions or errors made in performing a particular mathematical operation or skill.
- Calculator Corners Where appropriate throughout the text, students see optional Calculator Corners. This feature is designed specifically with developmental mathematics students in mind, giving them keystrokes as appropriate, and is accompanied by exercises for students to try on their own.
- Discussion and Writing Exercises Designed to help students develop deeper comprehension of critical concepts, two Discussion and Writing exercises (indicated by a DW symbol) are found in each exercise set and Summary and Review to encourage students to think about, write, and verbalize key mathematical ideas in the chapter. Discussion and Writing exercises are suitable for either individual or group work.
- Skill Maintenance Exercises Found in each exercise set, these exercises review concepts from other sections in the text to prepare students for their final examination. Section and objective codes appear next to each.
- Skill Maintenance exercise for easy reference, and in response to user feedback, the overall number of Skill Maintenance exercises has been increased.
- Synthesis Exercises Appearing in most exercise sets, Synthesis Exercises help build critical-thinking skills by requiring students to synthesize or combine learning objectives from the current section as well as from preceding text sections.
- Chapter Openers open on a two-page spread with exceptional artwork that is tied to a motivating real-world application to engage students and prepare them for the upcoming chapter material.
- Study Tips A variety of Study Tips throughout the text give students pointers on how to develop good study habits as they progress through the course. At times short snippets and at other times more lengthy discussions, these Study Tips encourage students to input information and get involved in the learning process. These features can also be used in conjunction with Bittinger's "Math Study Skills for Students" videotape.
- Art Program Today's students are often visually oriented and their approach to a printed page is no exception. To appeal to students, the artwork in Foundations of Mathematics is dynamic and photographs and art pieces enhance the emphasis on real data and applications. To encourage students to understand the relevance of mathematics, many applications are enhanced by graphs and drawings similar to those found in today's newspapers and magazines.
Publisher: Addison-Wesley Longman, Inc.
Other Editions of Prealgebra and Introductory Algebra: