Summary: This latest edition in the highly respected Swokowski/Cole precalculus series retains the elements that have made it so popular with instructors and students alike: its exposition is clear, the time-tested exercise sets feature a variety of applications, its uncluttered layout is appealing, and the difficulty level of problems is appropriate and consistent. Mathematically sound, PRECALCULUS: FUNCTIONS AND GRAPHS, Tenth Edition, effectively prepares students for furth ...show moreer courses in mathematics through its excellent, time-tested problem sets. This edition has been improved in many respects including the addition of technology inserts with specific keystrokes for the TI-83 Plus and the TI-86, ideal for students who are working with a calculator for the first time. The design of the text makes the technology inserts easily identifiable, so if a professor prefers to skip these sections it is simple to do so.Edition/Copyright: 10TH 05
- NEW! The section on inverse functions now appears at the beginning of Chapter 4, rather than toward the end of Chapter 2. This moves the idea of the inverse function closer to its first use (with exponential and logarithmic functions).
- Great care is taken to explain each concept and include step-by-step comments in the solutions of the examples. Graphs, figures, charts, or tables to help students interpret graphical data accompany many examples.
- The text provides many topical examples showing how mathematical concepts have real-life applications. New applications relate to such diverse topics as the freezing level in a cloud, the number of handgun homicides, the cost of an advertisement during the Super Bowl, the number of Medicare recipients, and the effect of the ozone layer on skin cancer.
- Each exercise set begins with drill problems and then progresses to more challenging problems.
- Exercises involving graphical approximations to solutions have been given increased attention.
- Emphasis is placed on exercises in which students must produce and examine a table of values as an aid to solve a problem, and exercises in which students must interpret some aspect of a given table of values.
- Each chapter ends with several exercises that are suitable for small-group discussions. These exercises vary in difficulty; some are theoretical, while others are application-oriented.
- Topics such as the law of growth (or decay) formula and expected value are included. Closer attention has been paid to different quadratic function forms.
- The INSTRUCTOR'S and STUDENT SOLUTIONS MANUALS are authored by text co-author Jeffery A. Cole to ensure consistency with the main text.
- The QUICK REFERENCE CARD packaged with the text is a formula card for solving exercises. This perforated card, found in the back of the book, helps students master key formulas and minimizes the need for page turning. Because the card reduces time spent on tedious tasks, the student can focus on the central concepts and principles of the course.
- NEW! The section on Variation now appears at the end of Chapter 3. This allows variation to be introduced after rational functions have been discussed, and also allows inversely proportional variation problems to be discussed in terms of graphs.
- NEW! Chapters 1 through 4 are now more uniform in length, making it easier for instructors to assign chapter tests.
- NEW! Packaged free with each book, the Interactive Video Skillbuilder CD-ROM contains more than eight hours of video instruction, featuring a 10-question Web quiz per section (the results of which can be emailed to the instructor), a test for each chapter, with answers, a graphing calculator tutorial with examples, exercises, and video tutorials, and MathCue tutorial and quizzing software.
- NEW! New technology inserts included in all chapters provide more calculator examples along with specific keystrokes for the TI-83 Plus and TI-86. The new design adds versatility by making the technology inserts easily identifiable, allowing them to be easily skipped, depending on preference. A list of Graphing Calculator Topics and where to find them is located in the preface.
- NEW! Discussion exercises have been added at the end of each chapter to promote further exploration of concepts and group-work.
- NEW! New figures help students visualize concepts and interpret data.
- NEW! More than 100 new exercises have been added, including more exercises that ask students to understand the conceptual relationship of an equation and its graph, in response to reviewers' suggestions.
- NEW! A "V" symbol has been placed beside examples (an average of three per section) for which there are videos of instructors explaining the example in more detail. These videos are free to adopters.
Publisher: Brooks/Cole Publishing Co.