This edition has also been released as:
Summary: These experienced authors have been praised for their in-depth explanations and their commitment to avoiding a cookbook approach. Their text addresses three critical issues in teaching precalculus: poor student preparation, the need for thoughtful integration of the graphing calculator, and poor student study skills. Their texts have a strong reputation built on mathematically sound presentation, excellent applications, and on challenging students to develop algebrai ...show morec, graphical, and verbal mathematical skills. Goodman and Hirsch help students go beyond the mechanics of mathematics to developing a coherent strategy to solving problems.Edition/Copyright: 2ND 04
- A full four-color presentation provides a crisp, elegant enhancement to the text's pedagogical features, such as the Different Perspectives, Calculator Exploration, and Technology Corner boxes.
- Every new copy of this text is packaged with our suite of online, customizable technology services, giving your students dynamic, flexible online tutorial resources at their fingertips. By entering a PIN code packaged with their textbook, students gain access to text-specific tutorials with step-by-step explanations, exercises and quizzes, and vMentor--live, one-on-one help from an experienced mathematics tutor. For instructors, we offer highly customizable testing, course management, and diagnostic online resources that provide a dynamic way to power your course.
- Our student mastery system also includes the Interactive Video Skillbuilder CD-ROM. Think of it as portable office hours! Free with every copy of this text, the Interactive Video Skillbuilder CD-ROM contains more than eight hours of video instruction.
- In addition to robust tutorial services, your students also receive anytime, anywhere access to InfoTrac College Edition. This online library offers the full text of articles from almost 4000 scholarly and popular publications, updated daily and going back as much as 22 years. Both adopters and their students receive unlimited access for four months.
- Functions and Graphs are covered in great depth in Chapters 2 and 3. Section 2.6 is devoted to the interpretation of graphs.
- Different Perspectives boxes appear wherever there is an opportunity to highlight the connection between the algebraic and graphical interpretation of the same idea.
- Applications and Mathematical Modeling are integrated throughout the text. Modeling is introduced in its own section 3.3 with a special concentration of modeling problems in chapters 3, 4, and 5. These sections provide practice in skills necessary for calculus.
- Problem Analysis is presented in a question and answer format that walks students through the process of setting up and solving problems.
- Margin Comments ask questions that help students check their understanding and provide tips to pace the reading of the material.
- Technology Corner boxes have been added to enhance the student's appreciation of the graphing calculator as a technological device and learning aid.
- The margin comments have been expanded to further encourage students to be active learners as they read the text.
- Many examples and exercises have been revised and updated to make them more current.
- The Problem Analysis approach has been applied to additional examples to allow students more opportunities to see how a mathematical problem is approached and analyzed.
- Two interim reviews have been inserted. The first contains exercises covering the material in Chapter 1 through 5, with an emphasis on those topics most critical to being successful in calculus. The second appears after Chapter 8 and consists of exercises that review the trigonometric concepts that are most frequently encountered in calculus.
- New, realistic application problems give students an idea of how the material they are learning can be applied to real situations.
- Greater integration of modeling throughout the text.
- Found in the ANNOTATED INSTRUCTOR'S EDITION, the NEW RESOURCE INTEGRATION GUIDE makes this text eminently teachable by offering a chapter-by-chapter glimpse of how the supplements support the learning system in the text, reducing the time-consuming task of choosing activities or graphing calculator exercises and directing students to valuable study aids.
Publisher: Brooks/Cole Publishing Co.
Year Published: 2004