Whittington/Pany's Principles of Auditing, is a market leader in the auditing discipline and the only text in this market which uses the balance sheet approach (vs. the cycles approach). Until October 2002, Ray Whittington was a member of the Audit Standards Board and prior to Ray being on the ASB Kurt Pany was on the board. This has had a major impact on this revision of the text as Whittington has been involved in the audit standards creation process. Principles of Auditing presents concepts clearly and proactively monitors changes in auditing making the relationship between accounting and auditing understandable. The 14th edition maintains the organization and balance sheet orientation, while adding and enhancing topics of Risk, Assurance Services, Fraud, E-Commerce, and the latest auditing standards to meet the needs of the current marketplace.
New to This Edition
- We have updated this edition to include the Sarbanes-Oxley Act and the Public Company Accounting Oversight Board.
- The book has been updated to include more coverage on business risk as well as to include the new audit standards on risk. With the changes in the accounting profession, Whittington has added this information to emphasize to the students the importance of understanding the firms core business model and the external environmental factors that impact this business model. This new standard is the most recent exposure draft from the audit standards board and the pronouncement is due out Summer of 2003.
- In this new revision of Whittington, the author team is adding real world Securities Exchange Commission style cases that will be accessible on the website. This will help develop critical thinking, analysis, and decision making skills for the students.
- This new edition of Whittington will also include new real world fraud examples such as, WorldCom, Enron, Andersen, etc.
- This edition will also integrate discussion of auditors' responsibility for earnings manipulation.
- This book comes packaged with Powerweb for Dynamic Accounting.
- Inclusion of new Institue of Internal Auditors Code of Ethics.
- The Online Learning Center includes resources such as PowerPoint Slides, downloadable supplements, auditing web site links, on-line quizzes, and now mini-cases. The authors personally check the website and update it as often as new information is available. www.mhhe.com/whittington14e.
- A whole chapter devoted to Assurance Services, an increasingly important subject.
- Fraud issues are integrated where appropriate.
- Illustrative Documents in the procedural chapters (11-17) provide concise, realistic examples of the documents associated with the various transaction cycles.
- Industry Focus Cases use examples from specific industries to provide students with a detailed "real world" illustration of points emphasized in the text.
- Authors continue to write their own supplements, ensuring that the text, study guide, and test bank material is consistent throughout the package.
- PageOut is McGraw-Hill's unique point-and click course Website tool, enabling you to create a full-featured, professional quality course Website without knowing HTML coding. With PageOut you can post your syllabus online, assign McGraw-Hill Online Learning Center or eBook content, add links to important off-site resources, and maintain student results in the online grade book. You can send class announcements, copy your course site to share with colleagues, and upload original files. PageOut is free for every McGraw-Hill/Irwin user and, if you're short on time, we even have a team ready to help you create your site!
- You can customize this text with McGraw-Hill/Primis Online. A digital database offers you the flexibility to customize your course including material from the largest online collection of textbooks, readings, and cases. Primis leads the way in customized eBooks with hundreds of titles available at prices that save your students over 20% off bookstore prices.
- Online Learning Center with PowerWeb (OLC) is a website that follows the text chapter-by-chapter with digital supplementary content germane to the book. As students read the book, they can go online to take self-grading quizzes, review material, and work through interactive exercises. Thanks to embedded PowerWeb content, students can get quicker access to real-world news and essays that pertain to the discipline their studying. OLCs can be delivered multiple ways through the textbook website, through PageOut, or within a course management system (i.e., WebCT or Blackboard).
- McGraw-Hill's Knowledge Gateway--The Complete Resource for Teaching Online Courses. McGraw-Hill/Irwin, in partnership with Eduprise, is proud to bring this unique service to instructors. This comprehensive Website contains a wealth of information for any professor interested in teaching online. Level one is available to any instructor browsing our Website. Level two is reserved for McGraw-Hill customers and contains access to free technical and instructional design assistance.
- PowerWeb. This online reservoir of discipline-specific news articles and essays offer a great way to keep your course current, while complementing textbook concepts with real-world applications. Articles and essays from leading periodicals and niche publications in specific disciplines are reviewed by professors like you to ensure fruitful search results every time.