Summary: Balancing skills and theory, Principles of Public Speaking emphasizes orality, Internet technology, and critical thinking as it encourages students to see public speaking as a way to build community in today's diverse world. Edition/Copyright: 16TH 07
Within a framework that emphasizes speaker responsibility, critical thinking and listening, and cultural awareness, this classic text uses examples from college, workplace, political, and social communication to make the study of publ ...show moreic speaking relevant, contemporary, and exciting for students. This brief but comprehensive text also offers students the latest in using technology in speechmaking, featuring a unique and exciting integrated text and technology learning system.
New To This Edition
- Focuses on orality as a central experience in contemporary society, emphasizing the importance of public speaking by showing how oral, face-to-face communication constitutes the core of human relations and culture. Chapter 1 introduces the idea of orality and the following chapters develop the mechanisms whereby speechmaking builds the bonds of society.
- Emphasizes technology as a resource for speakers, including expanded coverage of electronic resources, a new section of the book combining discussions of ways the Web helps with speech construction and presentation, ''Using the Web'' activities, and correlated text links to the book's companion website and to the new VideoWorkshop integrated teaching and learning system with CD-ROM.
- Helps students start speaking right away through an overview of the speech-making process early in the book (Ch. 1).
- Includes ''Speaking of Skills'' boxes that present students with useful advice and practical applications of the concepts discussed.
- Contains ''Speaking of Ethics'' boxes that present ethical dilemmas in public speaking and ask students to think critically about what they would do in certain situations.
- Confronts the greatest challenge in this course-speech anxiety-directly with effective tips for overcoming fear in ''Speaking of Apprehension'' boxes.
- Provides useful pedagogy to help students better understand and apply the material:
- Chapter Outline
- Chapter Summary
- Key Terms
- Assessment Activities
- ''Using the Web'' Activities.
- ''Using VideoWorkshop'' Activities.
- New easy-to-find section on web resources. This extensive coverage ofhow to use and evaluate electronic sources keeps students up-to-date on the latest information about using technology effectively for research.
- Now includes an extensive discussion on using PowerPoint slides. The new coverage discusses how to design exciting, eye-catching slides and strategies for incorporating them seamlessly into your presentation.
- Contains updated examples throughout, including those that reflect greater cultural diversity, changes in technology, and the latest research in public speaking.
- New Chapter (Chapter 16) discusses group-based speeches, including presentations in teams and responding to questions and objections.
Publisher: Allyn & Bacon, Inc.
Other Editions of Principles of Public Speaking: