Summary: For courses in Guidance and Management of Young Children. Edition/Copyright: 05
Written in an informal, accessible style, this practical text equips future teaching professionals to effectively support emotional well-being, reduce problem behavior, and enhance social competence in toddlers, pre-schoolers, and primary-grade children. Based on the ECE-CARES Project, housed at the University of Colorado at Denver, text-advocated strategies are focused on five fundamental construct ...show moreions: caring and cooperative early childhood settings, assertiveness through self-esteem and mastery, relationship skills, emotional regulation and reactivity, and self-control. The authors make use of numerous real-life examples to show how these strategies result in high rates of prosocial skills, positive peer interactions, and use of peaceful conflict resolution techniques.
- Engaging personalized vignettes from real early childhood environments--At the beginning of each chapter.
- Introduce actual situations and challenges involved in guiding young children--allow students to benefit from the knowledge and experience of hundreds of professionals.
- Ideas for involving all members of the family in a child's education--Included in every chapter.
- Encourage professionals to view children's development within a social context--lay a foundation for working appropriately with children and families from all backgrounds and walks of life.
- Learning in Action small-group activities and field assignments--Included in each chapter.
- Offer opportunities for students to observe, practice, and apply text concepts in a variety of settings--can be used independently or under instructor direction.
- A list of related children's books--At the end of each chapter.
- Enumerates picture books, prose volumes, and works of poetry that demonstrate chapter concepts--creates a virtual library for prospective and practicing teachers to use.
- Strong chapter pedagogy--Key terms/concepts list and suggested reading and resources sections.
- Organizes chapter material for optimal understanding--provides avenues for additional personal study, ideas for research papers/projects, and topics for in-class discussions.
Publisher: Merrill Education/Prentice Hall