Summary: This text is recognized as the leading seller for the Industrial/Organizational psychology course; and Muchinsky is one of only a few educators within the field of I/O psychology who has been awarded a Distinguished Professorship. In the sixth edition, Muchinsky tackles topics such as teams and work groups, work stress, violence in the workplace, reorganization and downsizing, 360-degree feedback, Total Quality Management, and cultural diversity training. Back by pop ...show moreular demand is coverage of job attitudes and job satisfaction. The revisions and additions help students understand the social, cultural, and changing structural changes affecting business and the workplace, as well as their impact on employers, employees, and business. Edition/Copyright: 6TH 00
- Muchinsky consistently relates practical, real-life situations to the best practices offered by industrial and organizational psychology. He uses real company examples throughout the book.
- New chapter objectives prepare the student for the main concepts to be presented in the chapter itself.
- Case studies and their accompanying questions at the end of each chapter provide the student with experience in working through complex, real-life problems in the workplace (e.g., "Should We Use Work Teams?").
- The book concludes with a forward-looking chapter that examines the changing nature of work and its effect on individuals and society as well as the shape of the workplace of the future.
- Infusion of cross-cultural I/O psychological issues in each appropriate chapter.
- Muchinsky has re-instituted coverage of job attitudes and job satisfaction both in specific sections and distributed throughout.
- welve new Field Notes interspersed throughout the chapters are based on actual practices of real organizations. With intriguing titles such as "Intentional Deception in Letters of Recommendation" and "What is 'High' Performance?," these Field Notes help to show the discrepancy between theory and practice.
- Students can now visit the Wadsworth Psychology Study Center Web Site for access to interactive quizzes for each chapter. Site includes five interactive quiz questions per chapter for students and Web resources for the instructor.
Publisher: Wadsworth, Inc
Year Published: 2000
Other Editions of Psychology Applied to Work: