This edition has also been released as:
ISBN13: 978-0716741633, 978-0716753469
ISBN10: 0716741636, 0716753464
Summary: Through his experience as both an author and teacher, David Myers has concluded that students digest material more easily when it is presented in smaller chunks. Ask students whether they would prefer a 700-page book to be organized as 14 50-page chapters or as 50 14-page chapters and their answers will approach a consensus: they prefer shorter chapters.Edition/Copyright: 6TH 01
The latter organization also offers instructors more freedom to pick and choose from the smorgasbord. In ...show morestead of choosing whether to assign the long Consciousness chapter, they can decide whether to assign the module on sleep and dreams, the module on hypnosis, and/or the module on drugs and behavior--and they can conveniently put them in any order.
Acting upon this belief, Myers has created a modular version of his best-selling introductory text, Psychology. Myers in Modules breaks down the 18 chapters of Psychology 6/e (published July 2000) into 57 short chapters, or modules. Featuring the latest research and teaching innovations, Myers's new text reflects the author's continuing drive to discover the most effective way to communicate psychology's major ideas to an uninitiated audience.
Sidebar: The features that have made David Myers's introductory psychology textbooks such phenomenal successes (compelling narrative, critical thinking theme, superior design) are all present in Myers in Modules, Sixth Edition. The way those hallmark features are presented is different.
The way students learn and digest material has altered significantly over the last twenty years--graphics programs and multimedia are fundamental to learning, and students fare far better when given information in smaller "portions." A textbook is not designed to be read as a novel would; every textbook Worth publishes includes mechanisms to break down material into manageable pieces. Myers in Modules extends those mechanisms even further, and this text represents a new approach to student reading comprehension. This is not a customizable book; rather, this is a teaching tool designed for the 21st century student.
Myers in Modules offers up-to-date content and state-of-the-art pedagogy and graphics, drawn from the new Sixth Edition of Myers Psychology (July, 2000), including:
- Organized to be directly compatible with PsychOnline. The table of contents of Myers in Modules mirrors the presentation in PsychOnline, Worth's groundbreaking, interactive, online introduction to psychology (see page on PsychOnline)
- Modular organization presents material in smaller sections that allows students to grasp and explore psychological concepts more easily.
- Modular organization addresses market concerns over the evolution of student reading comprehension and learning styles.
- An integrated critical thinking theme, introduced in Module 2, "Research Strategies: How Psychologists Ask and Answer Questions," integrated throughout the narrative, and studied in further depth in periodic "Thinking Critically About" boxes. Myers presents research as intellectual detective work, exemplifying an inquiring, analytical mindset.
- A separate media and supplements package organized specifically to match the content organization of Myers in Modules (see below)
- Over 800 NEW references and data, including a few dozen 2000 references.
- New! Coverage of nature and nurture offers a developmentally-oriented introduction to the influences of "nature" on behavior--our genes and evolutionary history--as well as the considerable effects of "nurture" --our environments, culture, and gender. Modules 5 and 6 provide clear balanced coverage of all standpoints and a terrific Reflections section follows, offering no conclusions or biased viewpoints, but a clear, compelling discussion of the perspectives presented.
- Module 2 includes new coverage of statistics principles. Myers clearly explains what psychologists DO with data after collecting it--how data is interpreted by statistics and why statistical reasoning is so important in everyday life. This coverage replaces the Statistical Appendix, and provides a more integrated treatment of research and statistics.
- Strong design and carefully crafted writing enhance readability and student understanding. A one-column design, coupled with a modular approach, better helps students to comprehend information. Myers still includes the ever-popular marginal notes, quotations, and cartoons for student enjoyment. The writing has also been thoroughly examined (word-by-word, module-by-module), reviewed, and revised.
- New Preview Questions start each main section with the questions students should be trying to answer while reading the narrative. The questions are repeated and answered in the Review & Reflect sections at the end of each module.
- New Review & Reflect sections promote comprehension and critical thinking. Each contains summary paragraphs for the section that are organized by the Preview Questions that start each main section; at least one Review Question on section content; at least one Reflect Question asking students to apply their own life experiences to better contextualize what they have read; a Test Yourself section of multiple-choice questions; and a list of page-referenced key terms."
Cover: Other Format
Publisher: Worth Publishers, Inc.
Other Editions of Psychology : Myers In Modules - Text Only: