Summary: From his experience as both an author and teacher, David Myers has concluded that students digest material more easily when it is presented in smaller chunks. Ask students whether they would prefer a 700-page book to be organized as 14, 50-page chapters or as 50, 14-page chapters and their answers will approach a consensus: they prefer shorter chapters.Edition/Copyright: 7TH 04
Acting upon this belief, Myers has created a modular version of his best-selling introductory text, Psych ...show moreology. Psychology, Seventh Edition, in Modules breaks down the 18 chapters of Psychology, Seventh Edition into 55 short chapters, or modules. Featuring the latest research and teaching innovations, Myers' new text reflects the author's continuing drive to discover the most effective way to communicate psychology's major ideas to an uninitiated audience.
- Modular organization presents material in smaller chunks that allow students to better grasp and explore psychological concepts. Students can easily read any of the 55 modules in a single setting.
- Modular organization offers enhanced flexibility for teachers. Now, instead of assigning the entire sensation chapter, one can assign the modules on vision, the module on hearingand/or and the module on the other senses--in whatever order they choose.
- The Modules are independent. Each module in the text is self-standing, and cross-references to modules have been replaced with brief explanations. In some cases, illustrations or key terms are repeated to avoid possible confusion. No assumptions are made about what students have read prior to each module. This independence gives instructors ultimate flexibility in deciding which modules to use, and in what order.
- A proven pedagogical system that continually reinforces learning and critical thinking. Myers in Modules integrates the PRTR study method [Preview, Read, Think Critically, Review] with extensive end-of-module tools. Section-opening Preview Questions alert students to key concepts on which to focus while reading that section. Module-ending "Review and Reflect Questions" then encourage students to think about what they are learning and contain five major tools:
- Section Preview Questions are repeated and answered in paragraph form.
- All key terms from the module are listed with page references.
- Test Yourself quizzes include 5-15 multiple-choice questions.
- At least one Review Question tests students on the take-home message from each module and at least one Reflect Question asks students to apply material.
- An integrated critical thinking theme, introduced in Module 2, "Research Strategies: How Psychologists Ask and Answer Questions," is integrated throughout the narrative, and studied in further depth in periodic "Thinking Critically About " boxes. Myers presents research as intellectual detective work, exemplifying an inquiring, analytical mindset.
- Strong coverage of behavior genetics and evolution. Modules 3 through 6 include neuroscience, evolution, and behavior genetics concepts. Additionally, the most up-to-date research in these areas is integrated throughout the Seventh Edition.
- Strong integration of cultural and gender diversity coverage, from the first module's discussion of the sociocultural perspective through the last module's discussions of culture and gender roles.
- A separate media and supplements package organized specifically to match the content organization of Psychology, Seventh Edition, in Modules.
Publisher: Worth Publishers, Inc.
Year Published: 2004