This edition has also been released as:
Summary: Edition/Copyright: 6TH 08
- Coverage on women of color who live in the United States and Canada.
- Information and greater attention given to cross-cultural perspectives reflects the exciting recent progress in this area and also provides a broader view of women's lives in many parts of the globe.
- The book features more than 1400 references.
- Coverage of lesbians and older women now mainstreamed into the text.
- &qu ...show moreot;Women's Voices" feature are included. Quotations from girls and women enrich and supplement the quantitative research.
- Chapter opening vignettes and anecdotes represent a perspective on the chapter's content.
- Data on ethnicity and divorce.
- Features subsection called "The Fluidity of Female Sexual Orientation," (Ch. 8 Love Relationships) based on the work of Lisa Diamond.
- Ch. 9 ("Background on Women's Sexuality") include the new approach to women's sexuality, which emphasizes social constructionist thinking - that each culture invents its own versions of reality (e.g., in North America, when a woman "has sex," people understand that she has had sexual intercourse with a man).
- Text includes a section called "Returning to the Workplace After Childbirth"(Chapter 10 Pregnancy, Childbirth and Motherhood).
- Research has been incorporated throughout chapter 13 (Violence Against Women) especially into the discussion of characteristics associated with abusive relationships.
- Four themes are traced throughout the book: 1) Psychological Gender Differences Are Typically Small And Inconsistent 2) People React Differently To Men And Women 3) Women Are Less Visible Then Men In Many Important Areas 4) Women Vary Widely From One Another.
- Inclusive of voices across sexual orientation, ability, ethnicity, culture and age spectrums.
- Proven, consistent pedagogical features include topical outlines provide overall structure to chapter, true/false questions at beginning of each chapter encourage student interest and highlight key issues to examine, boldface type identifies new terms, section summaries (2-5 per chapter) help students review major concepts, new terms at end of each chapter, and end-of-chapter review questions encourage students to clarify and synthesize concepts. Also includes an annotated list of recommended readings is included.
- Known for being remarkably up to date, with most citations from sources published in 1998 and later, students examine course topics using the most current perspectives.
- The "Women's Voices" features (direct quotes from women) raise students' interest and make a connection between their lives and the material in the book.
- Opening vignettes draw readers into the chapter.
- Matlin focuses on the psychological aspects of women in and of themselves, rather than focusing on gender differences.
Publisher: Wadsworth, Inc
Year Published: 2008
Other Editions of Psychology of Women: