This edition has also been released as:
Summary: The unique, audience-centered approach of this top-selling text emphasizes that success in public speaking depends on how listeners interpret the message. Edition/Copyright: 5TH 03
Public Speaking: An Audience-Centered Approach brings theory and practice together in an understandable and applicable manner. Its distinctive and popular approach emphasizes the importance of analyzing and considering the audience at every point along the way, with marginal icons highlighting audience-r ...show moreelated discussions. This model of public speaking serves as a foundation as the text guides students through the step-by-step process of public speaking, focuses their attention on the importance and dynamics of diverse audiences, and narrows the gap between the classroom and the real world.
New To This Edition
- TECHNOLOGY ADVANTAGE
- The Speaker's Homepage, found both in the text as well as on the text's Companion Website, offers students hands-on tips, activities, and Internet links to find and effectively use Internet material that relates to the chapter concepts and helps them enhance their speechwriting skills.
- An extensive range of technology-based supplements, including VideoWorkshop for Public Speaking and a robust Companion Website (www.ablongman.com/beebeps5e)
- The latest research techniques of using the Internet during speech preparation and research, including an emphasis on the importance of evaluating websites for accuracy and helpfulness.
- Tips and principles for using PowerPoint and new technology (Ch. 14) effectively and appropriately.
- Expands coverage of overcoming speech anxiety (Ch. 2) by including applications of the latest communication research with concrete suggestions to help students better manage communication apprehension.
- Introduces students to ethical issues including the tradition of free speech in a democratic society, plagiarism, honesty in communication, the legitimate use of evidence and reasoning, and the need for tolerance. Contains a full chapter on ethics, integrated coverage throughout the text, and end-of-chapter Ethical Questions.
- Focuses discussions on cultural diversity, illustrating how audiences of different cultural backgrounds interpret messages differently, and how the speaker can overcome these differences.
- Provides classic and contemporary speaking examples, including student speeches; news items relating to politics, science, and the arts; excerpts from great speeches; along with new speeches in the appendix.
- Emphasizes a refined and updated discussion of the goals of persuasive speaking to help students better master persuasive strategies. This discussion includes information about persuading a target audience and material on how to motivate speakers to respond to a persuasive message.
- Includes a new summary at the end of each chapter, each of which is divided into 2 categories: Considering your Audience and Considering Audience Diversity, which summarize chapter content for these two significant areas
- Offers new material to help students polish delivery skills and to help non-native speakers speak clearly and effectively.
- Provides a new section on Receiver Apprehension and Critical Listening Skills to help students understand how they may have apprehension as a listener and how to overcome it. Also included is an extensive new section about how to become a critical listener. (Ch. 4)
- Incorporates additional practical skills and strategies (Ch. 5) for adapting to diverse audiences, including: identification of specific strategies, discussion of socioeconomic status, adaptation of your message to different types of audiences, and situational audience analysis.
- Explains how to prepare group presentations with an emphasis on media and technological resources.
- Revises discussion of informative speaking by teaching students how to inform an audience to enhance interest, clarity, understanding, and audience recall of information presented.
- Discusses practical tips for helping students become audience-centered in the formative stages of developing a persuasive speech.
Publisher: Allyn & Bacon, Inc.
Year Published: 2003
Other Editions of Public Speaking : An Audience Centered Approach: