This edition has also been released as:
ISBN13: 978-0072975604, 978-0072975659
ISBN10: 0072975601, 0072975652
Summary: Edition/Copyright: 7TH 05
With its wealth of student and work-oriented examples, this trusted text offers a practical, accessible, and non-intimidating approach to public speaking. The new edition includes many fresh examples and sample speeches, as well as "A Brief Guide to Using PowerPoint" and current information on Internet research.
New to This Edition
- The new SpeechMate CD-ROM 3.0 (now a two-disk ...show moreset) is fully integrated with the text. CD icons in the text margins guide students to the CD resources, which include student and professional speeches (more than an hour of videos, all but one of them new to this edition); interactive reviews with multiple choice and true-false questions for each chapter; an online tutorial for creating a speech outline; outline exercises; Speech Critique Software; a PowerPoint tutorial; a checklist for preparing and delivering a speech; a topic helper that lists hundreds of potential subjects; flashcards of key terms; an extensive, searchable glossary; and Bibliomaker, a new application that automatically formats bibliography entries after students enter key information, according to APA and MLA style guidelines.
- New chapter-opening vignettes with accompanying photos draw students into each chapter and illustrate important public speaking principles.
- Six new sample speeches, many with commentary, appear in Chapters 1, 10, 15, and 16. An expanded section in Chapter 1, "Introducing Yourself or a Classmate," is accompanied by two new sample speeches.
- Chapters 6 and 7 include updated information on how to use and cite the Internet skillfully and critically.
- A new tutorial, "A Brief Guide to Using PowerPoint", offers extensive updates on visual aids.
- Several new "Tips for Your Career" boxes demonstrate the relevance of public speaking in the workplace.
- "Using PowerWeb" exercises at the end of each chapter direct students to speeches and articles in the Public Speaking PowerWeb component of this book's Online Learning Center website.
- Now fully integrated with the text, the enhanced companion Online Learning Center features a rich array of study tools and resources, including chapter quizzes, key-term flashcards and crossword puzzles, interactive exercises, articles on relevant topics, business document templates, the new SurveyMaker application that enables a speaker to prepare audience assessment questionnaires and to analyze the results before a speech is given, and the new Public Speaking PowerWeb with links to recent speeches from Vital Speeches of the Day, news and journal articles on topics relevant to public speaking, a newsworthy "speech of the week," and much more!
- The text incorporates coverage of technology, teamwork, and ethics in the context of speaking publicly in a richly diverse society.
- The text emphasizes audience-centered communication, addressing how to analyze listeners; how to be sensitive to their needs and interests; and how to talk to and with them, rather than at them.
- Chapter 1, "Introduction to Public Speaking," provides immediate assistance with the speechmaking process, through content such as "Introducing Yourself to a Classmate" and a "Quick Guide to Public Speaking."
- An "Ethical Issues" icon throughout the book highlights passages that deal with issues of honesty and fairness; in total, there are 22 ethical issues sections.
Publisher: McGraw-Hill Publishing Company
Year Published: 2005
Other Editions of Public Speaking for College and Career With Speechmate CD-ROM 3.0, Seventh Edition: