This edition has also been released as:
Summary: Puntos de partida boasts a well-deserved reputation as a beginning Spanish book that is consistently reliable. When instructors need a book that won't let them down, this is the text they turn to. The chapter structure is straightforward, consistent, and reflects what instructors actually do in class. The grammar explanations are written in plain English, are easy for students to understand, and contain plenty of examples. The exercises and activities are vari ...show moreed and plentiful, do not require deciphering, and can be counted on to work. Puntos de partida fifth edition offers a variety of new features, all sure to please but also sure to work. A new audiotape accompanies the student text, providing listening practice. Several chapters explore new themes, such as pop culture and art. A new culture feature called En los Estados Unidos... focuses on U.S. Hispanics. A beautiful new design makes the text clearer, more attractive, and easier to use. Over half the readings are new to this edition and longer readings are broken into manageable chunks. New to This Edition: Edition/Copyright: 5TH 97
- The fifth edition of Puntos de partida has been shortened to 18 chapters, plus the Ante todo and the Capítulo final, making it convenient for use over either 2 or 3 terms. Each of the chapters in Puntos is organized around a unifying topic or theme, providing a context for the vocabulary and grammar presented within it. Several chapter themes are new to this edition, including pop culture (such as movies and music) and the stresses of modern-day life.
- Over half of the readings in Puntos de partida, Fifth edition are brand new. The focus of the readings is to emphasize cultural information about the Spanish-speaking world and to reflect the types of materials Hispanics read for pleasure or for news.
- Readings are now accompanied by visuals to make them more comprehensible and longer readings are broken down into more manageable chunks. All pieces of realia are now accompanied by in-text activities called "El espa-ol en directo!." The present subjunctive is still introduced early in Puntos de partida, 5th ed. (Ch. 6), but for recognition only, in the context of the formal (Ud., Uds.) commands, with the complete presentation of the topic beginning in Ch. 12. In general, the grammar in the second half of the text has been reorganized to flow more smoothly. A new streamlined design makes Puntos clearer, easier to use, and more attractive.
- The new design emphasizes important materials in order to help students learn more easily and efficiently. Each chapter now begins with objectives that clearly state what instructors can expect to find and students to accomplish in each chapter. Most of the grammar is presented in charts or schematic form to make it easier to locate, refer to, and review.
- By combining of familiar language with new material, Puntos gives students a chance to get their feet wet before diving in completely.
- The Puntos package also includes an interactive CD-ROM, tied specifically to the fifth edition. This exciting multimedia component incorporates "Quicktime" scenes from the Puntos video, along with comprehension questions, and fun, interactive games that involve higher-order thinking and skill development. Other features of the CD-ROM include background cultural information on sites the students see in the Puntos video and an interface with the Internet to allow exploration of the cultural opportunities on the Web.
- The chapter structure in Puntos de partida is very manageable and easy to understand. Chapters are designed to be taught through from start to finish, a feature which is especially reassuring to inexperienced teachers. No jumping around or flipping back and forth is necessary. The explanations are written in language designed for beginning students, whose knowledge of English grammar may be limited.
- Grammar points are always introduced in context with a short dialogue or other instructional device, illustrated with several examples, and followed up with lots of practice material.
- When it comes to practice material, Puntos de partida offers an embarrassment of riches. The authors know from personal experience that having more activity options than one can use is never a mistake, whereas running out of things to do in class can be a nightmare.
- Each grammar point is supported with a wide variety first of focused exercises and then of communicative activities. The activities and their instructions are clear and easy to follow, so valuable class time is not wasted on deciphering directions or on elaborate set-up. Best of all, the activities can be counted on to work.
Publisher: McGraw-Hill Publishing Company
Year Published: 1997