Summary: The Second Edition of this research-based text describes the diverse and evolving roles of reading specialists and literacy coaches.Edition/Copyright: 2ND 07
Reading Specialists and Literacy Coaches in the Real World, Second Edition, is a unique text designed to prepare reading specialists and literacy coaches to implement reading programs at the school and district level. Designed for undergraduate and graduate courses in reading certification programs, the text includes both theore ...show moretical and practical information about the varied roles of reading specialist and literacy coaches, including: teacher and diagnostician, intervention provider, curriculum designer, professional developer, coach/ mentor/supervisor, literacy program evaluator, action researcher, and literacy leader. This Second Edition offers a more streamlined approach to two-year programmatic planning, and a new chapter written for those who are designated as literacy coaches.
This text may also be used for professional development by reading specialists and literacy coaches, and to prepare administrators to coordinate, implement, and evaluate programs for teaching reading/language arts.
- A graphic organizer at the beginning of each chapter provides an overview of the chapters' content.
- ''Learning Goals'' provide the reader with clear objectives for learning and offer an opportunity for the reader to include his/her own personal goals.
- Vignettes open each chapter, featuring real-world teaching situations.
- Each chapter features ''Thinking Points,'' questions for reflection that guide the reader in connecting vignettes to the chapter content.
- ''Group Inquiry Activities'' are integrated throughout the text to prompt discussion within small groups in class and to allow professors to assign home projects.
- ''Portfolio Projects'' are given at the end of every chapter, encouraging students to create mini-portfolios based on their learning.
- Forms and samples of a Needs Assessment survey, a newly revised Two-Year Reading Program Plan, a blank and completed Learning Assessment Profile (LAP), an inservice agenda and workshop evaluation form, are included to support reading specialists and literacy coaches as they work with both students and teachers.
Publisher: Allyn & Bacon, Inc.
Other Editions of Reading Specialists and Literacy Coaches in the Real World: