This edition has also been released as:
Summary: Praised for its strong research base, engaging style and inclusion of specific teaching ideas, the Fourth Edition comprehensively examines oral language, reading, and writing development in English for K-12 students. Edition/Copyright: 4TH 05
This Fourth Edition of Peregoy & Boyle's text continues the strengths of the third with its comprehensiveness and accessibility, providing a wealth of practical strategies for promoting literacy and language development in English language ...show more learners (K-12). Unlike many texts in this field, Reading, Writing and Learning In ESL takes a unique approach by exploring contemporary language acquisition theory as it relates to instruction and providing suggestions and methods for motivating and involving ELL students. Features
- A Full chapter (Ch. 10) on how to evaluate and teach struggling readers by linking assessment and instruction.
- Detailed description on how to use Informal Reading Inventories to establish reading levels with ELL students (Ch. 10).
- Emphasis on reading achievement from emergent literacy through advanced content learning from text.
- Chapter introductions introduce students to a real classroom with real activities, allowing students to get a sense of actual classroom situations and possible problem solving in these situations.
- Suggested activities at the end of each chapter provide students opportunities to extend their understanding of chapter content through classroom observations, teacher interviews, lesson planning, and evaluation of English learner's oral language, reading and writing.
- Examples of speech and writing produced by K-12 students are highlighted in boxes throughout the text.
- Case studies and vignettes are used throughout the text to help bring the subject alive with examples of real students in real classrooms.
- Addresses English learners at three developmental levels--beginning, intermediate and advancedñoffering a wide variety of activities appropriate at each level and for each student to assist teachers in tailoring instruction to particular student needs.
Publisher: Allyn & Bacon, Inc.
Year Published: 2005