Summary: This acclaimed text offers a comprehensive, systematic treatment of the scientific approach to research within the context of the social sciences. Emphasizing the relationship between theory, research, and practice, the book leads students through seven major, interrelated stages of research methods : definition of the research problem, statement of hypothesis, research design, measurement, data collection, data analysis, and generalization. Research activities are i ...show morentegrated throughout to get students actively involved in the real work of social science research. With its self-contained yet integrated chapters, the text adapts well to either a basic methods course, or a course that covers methods and statistics sequentially. The new edition has been thoroughly updated and revised, and is designed to help students take full advantage of the Internet and other electronic data sources plus the most current statistical software. Edition/Copyright: 6TH 00
- Systematic Presentation : The book progresses logically from the conceptual and theoretical building blocks of the research process to data analysis and computer applications.
- Blend of Classic and Contemporary Studies : Students see how current practices evolved while exploring issues of immediate relevance
- Expert Coverage of Graphs : Students learn how to use charts, bar charts, and histograms to describe distributions
- Effective Pedagogy : Including chapter previews, application examples, and summary boxes
- Extensive revised coverage of secondary data analysis (Chapter 13) centered on using the Internet to locate secondary data sources, such as the General Social Survey (GSS)
- Updated data, examples, and software references throughout, specifically as related to the most recent GSS, to provide the most accurate portrayal of contemporary social science research possible
- Enhanced graphics designed to make abstract concepts (such as the units of analysis, ecological fallacy, internal vs. external validity) easier to comprehend
- Thoroughly revised exercises including all new computer-related exercises
- New SPSS Appendix based on the most recent version of the software
- Data Bank Disk packaged with each text
Publisher: Worth Publishers, Inc.
Year Published: 2000