on Orders of $25 or more*
|Get your books quickly and easily... and pay nothing for shipping. Just order $25 or more and standard shipping is on us (excludes Marketplace and Rental offerings).|
|$3.99 flat rate|
|UPS 2nd Day Air*||$11.99 flat rate|
|UPS Next Day Air*||$19.98 flat rate|
* Not available for PO boxes and APO/FPO
** Saturday delivery is only available in certain areas. UPS standard rates apply.
*** Separate shipping rates apply for bulk orders
This comprehensive field guide includes all the flora and fauna you're most likely to see in the forest communities of the Rocky Mountains and the Southwest. It includes 53 color plates and more than 80 color photos illustrating trees, birds, mammals, wildflowers, mushrooms, reptiles and amphibians, butterflies, beetles, and other insects.Edition/Copyright: (REV)98
Prairie Riparian Forest Plate 4 Indicator Plants Canopy Trees: Green Ash, Ashleaf Maple (Box-elder), Eastern Cottonwood, Peachleaf Willow, Water Birch, Quaking Aspen, Bur Oak, Chinkapin Oak, Shin Oak, Post Oak, Blackjack Oak, American Elm, Bitternut Hickory, Shagbark Hickory, Northern Hackberry, Black Oak. Understory Trees and Shrubs: Red-osier Dogwood, Pussy Willow, Missouri Willow, Heartleaf Willow, Sandbar Willow, Desert Ironwood, Black Raspberry, Smooth Sumac, Common Buttonbush, Common Witch-hazel, Common Chokecherry, juneberries, hawthorns, Coralberry, Red Baneberry. Herbaceous Species: Virginia Creeper, Trumpet Creeper, Trumpet Honeysuckle, Winter Grape, Kudzu-vine (local), Globeflower, Stinging Nettle, Canada Violet, Cardinal Flower, Solomon''s-seal, and various grasses and sedges. Indicator Animals Birds: Eastern Kingbird, Western Kingbird, Rose-breasted Grosbeak, Black-headed Grosbeak, Baltimore Oriole, Bullock''s Oriole, Red-headed Woodpecker, Green-backed Heron, Spotted Sandpiper, American Kestrel, Yellow-billed Cuckoo, Northern Flicker, Eastern Phoebe, Eastern Wood- Pewee, Tree Swallow, House Wren, Gray Catbird, Warbling Vireo, Yellow Warbler, Ovenbird, Common Yellowthroat, Red-winged Blackbird, Brown- headed Cowbird, Orchard Oriole, Northern Cardinal, American Goldfinch, Spotted Towhee, Song Sparrow. Mammals: River Otter, Mink, Muskrat, Raccoon, Eastern Gray Squirrel, Eastern Cottontail. Reptiles: Painted Turtle, False Map Turtle, Northern Water Snake. Amphibians: Woodhouse Toad, Northern Leopard Frog.
Editor"s Note v Acknowledgments vii Preface ix
1. How to Use This Book 1
2. Forest Ecology 14 Essay: Plant-Herbivore Wars 37
3. Life Zones 50
4. Widespread Western Mammals and Birds 59 Essay: Elk and Sexual Selection 60 Essay: Pale Rump Patches 65 Essay: Antlers and Horns 66 Essay: The Selfish Herd and the Solitary Hunter 73 Essay: Old World and New World Vultures 76 Plate 1. Widespread Western Mammals 90 Plate 2. Widespread Birds of Open Areas 92 Plate 3. Widespread Forest Birds 94
5. West Meets East: Great Plains Forests 96 Prairie Riparian Forest 97 Essay: The Eastern Kingbird"s Dual Personality 102 Essay: Lumping and Splitting on the Great Plains 105 Black Hills Forest 107 Essay: What Is a Community? 113 Plate 4. Prairie Riparian Forest 116 Plate 5. Black Hills Forest 118
6. South Texas Forests 120 Gulf Coast Live Oak Forest 121 Edwards Plateau Forest 127 Essay: Mexican Birds 134 Lower Rio Grande Forest 136 Essay: Lower Rio Grande Valley Wildlife Corridor 144 East Texas Pine Forest 145 Plate 6. Edwards Plateau Forest 148 Plate
7. Lower Rio Grande Forest I 150 Plate
8. Lower Rio Grande Forest II 152 7. Rocky Mountain Forests 154 Great Basin Desert 158 Shortgrass Prairie 161 Pinyon-Juniper Forest 165 Essay: The Interlocking Fates of Jays and Pinyons 172 Ponderosa Pine Forest 174 Essay: Bird Guilds 181 Aspen Grove 183 Lodgepole Pine Forest 191 Essay: Was Smokey Wrong? The Ecological Role of Fire 199 Riparian Forest 203 Spruce-Fir Forest 210 High Pine Forest 218 Timberline-Alpine Tundra 225 Animals of the Alpine Tundra 235 Essay: The Social Orders of Marmots 239 Plate
9. Pinyon-Juniper Forest 244 Plate
10. Ponderosa Pine Forest 246 Plate
11. Aspen Grove 248 Plate
12. Lodgepole Pine Forest 250 Plate
13. Riparian Forest 252 Plate
14. Spruce-Fir Forest 254 Plate
15. High Pine Forest 256 Plate
16. Animals of the Timberline-Alpine Tundra 258 8. Southwest Forests 260 Arroyo and Desert Scrub 265 Essay: Sonoita Creek, Oasis in the Desert 273 Mexican Madrean Foothill Forest 275 Arizona Madrean Foothill Forest 283 Arizona Canyon Riparian Forest 291 Southwest Mountain Forest 299 Essay: Arizona"s Occasional Parrot 307 Chihuahua Desert 309 Essay: How a Grassland Becomes a Desert 314 Giant Saguaro Cactus Forest 316 Essay: The Saguaro: Keystone Species of the Bajada 328 Plate
17. Arroyo and Desert Scrub 330 Plate
18. Mexican Madrean Foothill Forest 332 Plate
19. Arizona Madrean Foothill Forest 334 Plate
20. Arizona Canyon Riparian Forest 336 Plate
21. Southwest Mountain Forest 338 Plate
22. Giant Saguaro Cactus Forest 340
Get Free Shipping on orders over $25 (not including Rental and Marketplace). Order arrives in 5-10 business days.
Need it faster?
We offer fast, flat-rate expedited shipping options.
|Sell it back by:|
|Guaranteed cash back:|
|Cost of this book|
after cash back:
Take advantage of Guaranteed Cash Back. Send your book to us in good condition before the end of the buyback period, we'll send YOU a check, and you'll pay less for your textbooks!
When you're done with this book, sell it back to Textbooks.com. In addition to the best possible buyback price, you'll get an extra 10% cash back just for being a customer.
We buy good-condition used textbooks year 'round, 24/7. No matter where you bought it, Textbooks.com will buy your textbooks for the most cash.
Being online is not required for reading an eTextbook after successfully downloading it. You must only be connected to the Internet duringthe download process.
What is the Marketplace?
It's another way for you to get the right price on the books you need. We approved every Marketplace vendor to sell their books on Textbooks.com, so you know they're all reliable.
What are Marketplace shipping options?
Marketplace items do not qualify for free shipping. When ordering from the Marketplace, please specify whether you want the seller to send your book Standard ($3.99/item) or Express ($6.99/item). To get free shipping over $25, just order directly from Textbooks.com instead of through the Marketplace.
FREE UPS 2nd Day Air TermsRental and Marketplace items are excluded. Offer is valid from 1/21/2013 12:00PM to 1/23/2013 11:59AM CST. Your order must be placed by 12 Noon CST to be processed on the same day. Minimum order value is $100.00 excluding Rental and Marketplace items. To redeem this offer, select "FREE UPS 2ND DAY AIR" at checkout. Offer not is not valid on previous orders.