Summary: This brief rhetoric of argument teaches critical reading, informal reasoning, and writing as reasoned inquiry, and now features a mini-anthology of arguments on civic issues. The Shape of Reason emphasizes the enthymeme as the central basis for the invention and structure of arguments. This approach blends classical insights into rhetorical reasoning with contemporary understandings of the composing process as generative and organic, situated within discourse communi
ties. The book helps to understand argument as inquiry, stressing the responsibility that writers have - to their audience and to their own ideas - in structuring arguments that earn their conclusions and in considering opposing arguments. For anyone interested in argumentative writing.
Summary: This brief rhetoric of argument teaches critical reading, informal reasoning, and writing as reasoned inquiry, and now features a mini-anthology of arguments on civic issues. The Shape of Reason emphasizes the enthymeme as the central basis for the invention and structure of arguments. This approach blends classical insights into rhetorical reasoning with contemporary understandings of the composing process as generative and organic, situated within discourse communities. The book helps to understand argument as inquiry, stressing the responsibility that writers have - to their audience and to their own ideas - in structuring arguments that earn their conclusions and in considering opposing arguments. For anyone interested in argumentative writing. ...show less
Edition/Copyright:4TH 06 Cover: Paperback Publisher:Longman, Inc. Published: 05/19/2005 International: No
View Table of Contents
I. WRITING AND THE COLLEGE COMMUNITY.
1. Discourse Communities.
2. This Book and You.
3. Purpose and Design.
4. Earned Conclusions.
5. Questions for Thought, Discussion, and Writing.
6. Readings. Linda Ellerbee, ''We Can Kill Exit Polling by Lying Our Heads Off.'' Norman Cousins, ''Who Killed Benny Paret?'' Noel Riley, S.M., ''Getting a Big Bang Out of Creation Theories.''
II. CRITICAL READING.
7. How We Read.
8. A Case in Point. P.J. Wingate, ''The Philosophy of H.L. Mencken.'' Tom Welshko, ''Mencken and the Great `Bathtub Hoax'.''
9. Reading and Belief.
10. Some Considerations for Critical Reading.
11. Implications for Research.
12. Questions for Thought, Discussion, and Writing.
13. Readings. Geoffrey K. Pullum, ''The Great Eskimo Vocabulary Hoax.'' Bamber Gasgoigne, ''How Masqueraders Think.'' Francis Bacon, ''The Four Idols.''
III. ASKING QUESTIONS, GENERATING IDEAS.
14. An Idea Worth Writing About.
15. What a Thesis Does.
16. Stasis: Kinds of Questions at Issue.
17. An Example. Interview with Jeremy Rifkin. Interview with Bernard Davis.
18. The Need for Precision.
19. Finding and Testing a Thesis.
20. Implications for Research.
21. Question for Thought, Discussion, and Writing.
22.Readings. Mark O. Hatfield, ''On Defense Spending.'' Margaret Sanger, ''The Causes of War.'' Fred L. Smith and Kathy H. Kushner, ''Good Fences Make Good Neighborhoods.'' Donella Meadows, ''Our Survival Depends on Saving Other Species.''
IV. GIVING REASONS.
23. What a Reason Does.
24. The Enthymeme.
25. Informal Reasoning.
26. Kinds of Appeal.
27. Formal Reasoning: Some Elements of Logic.
28. Enthymemes and Logic.
29. Implications for Research.
30. Questions for Thought, Discussion, and Writing.
31. Readings. Felice N. Schwartz, ''Management Women and the New Facts of Life.'' Barbara Ehrenreich and Dierdre English, ''Blowing the Whistle on the `Mommy Track'.'' Carol Kleiman, ''How to Get 'Em on Track.''
V. DEVELOPING STRUCTURES.
32. The Structural Enthymeme.
33. From Enthymeme to Structure.
From Structure to Essay: An Analysis.
34. Implications for Research.
35. Questions for Thought, Discussion, and Writing.
36. Readings. Sinclair Lewis, ''Letter to the Pulitzer Prize Committee.'' Henry J. Hyde, ''The Culture War.''
VI. REVISING AND EDITING.
37. Revision and Style as Rethinking.
38. Obstacles to Revision.
39. Responding to Your Teacher's Criticism.
40. Style and Attitudes.
41. Style and Clear Thinking.
42. Editing as Rethinking.
44. Questions for Thought, Discussion, and Writing.
45. Readings. George Orwell, ''Politics and the English Language.'' Barbara Mellix, ''From Outside, In.'' Aileen Pace Nilsen, ''Sexism in English: A 1990s Update.''
VII. APPENDIX: ARGUMENTS FOR DISCUSSION AND ANALYSIS.
46. Dale Spender, ''Talking in Class.''
47. Henry David Thoreau, ''Resistance to Civil Government.''
48. Supreme Court Opinions: Department of Human Resources of Oregon v. Alfred L. Smith et al.
2005-05-29 Paperback Fair Used stickers on back and spine. Edges have a liquid stain. Every purchase will benefit global literacy.
$5.89 +$3.99 s/h
Better World Books Mishawaka, IN
Shows definite wear, and perhaps considerable marking on inside. 100% Money Back Guarantee. Shipped to over one million happy customers. Your purchase benefits world literacy!
$6.14 +$3.99 s/h
Icybooks Indianapolis, IN
2005 Paperback Good Item ships next business day. Books may or may not include CD-Rom, and may contain writing or highlighting.
$7.83 +$3.99 s/h
Penntext Downingtown, PA
May have some notes/highlighting, slightly worn covers, general wear/tear. Please contact us if you have any Questions.
$7.99 +$3.99 s/h
HPB-Indianapolis Indianapolis, IN
2005 Paperback Good Connecting readers with great books since 1972. Used books may not include companion materials, some shelf wear, may contain highlighting/notes, and may not include cd-rom or ac...show morecess codes. Customer service is our top priority! ...show less
$24.95 +$3.99 s/h
omgtextbooks Pueblo West, CO
New York, NY 2005 Trade paperback 4th Revised ed. Good. Trade paperback (US). Glued binding. 208 p. Contains: Illustrations.
$30.49 +$3.99 s/h
Textbookcenter.com Columbia, MO
Ships same day or next business day via UPS (Priority Mail for AK/HI/APO/PO Boxes)! Used sticker and some writing and/or highlighting. Used books may not include working access code or dust jacket.
$37.60 +$3.99 s/h
Nettextstore Lincoln, NE
2005 Paperback Good Books have varying amounts of wear and highlighting. Usually ships within 24 hours in quality packaging. Satisfaction guaranteed. This item may not include any CDs, Infotracs, A...show moreccess cards or other supplementary material. ...show less
$48.12 +$3.99 s/h
GreatBookPrices Westminster, MD
Used, Acceptable Condition, may show signs of wear and previous use. Please allow 4-14 business days for delivery. 100% Money Back Guarantee, Over 1,000,000 customers served.
$53.19 +$3.99 s/h
PaperbackshopUS Secaucus, NJ
New Book. Shipped from UK within 10 to 14 business days. Established seller since 2000.
Free Shipping Get Free Shipping on orders over $25 (not including Rental and Marketplace). Order arrives in 5-10 business days.
Need it faster? We offer fast, flat-rate expedited shipping options.
Not the right book for you? We'll gladly take it back within 30 days.
To return an eTextbook:
Your eTextbook is non-returnable once it's been activated. You must contact us about returning your eTextbook before you activate it.
Returns are accepted within 30 days of the purchase date on your order confirmation.
This book qualifies for guaranteed cash back! Buy it now for , then:
Sell it back by:
Guaranteed cash back:
Cost of this book after cash back:
Take advantage of Guaranteed Cash Back. Send your book to us in good condition before the end of the buyback period, we'll send YOU a check, and you'll pay less for your textbooks!
If you find this book for less on Amazon.com (direct from Amazon, not marketplace sellers), we'll match it.
In our warehouse, waiting to ship directly to you.
We hand-inspect every used textbook to make sure it's in good condition.
Buy it now. Sell it later!
Sell this textbook for cash!
When you're done with this book, sell it back to Textbooks.com. In addition to the best possible buyback price, you'll get an extra 10% cash back just for being a customer.
We buy good-condition used textbooks year 'round, 24/7. No matter where you bought it, Textbooks.com will buy your textbooks for the most cash.
We hand-inspect every one of our used textbooks to ensure good condition.
Our used textbooks do NOT have:
Missing or torn pages
Missing or torn cover
Torn or damaged binding
A broken spine
This textbook has never been used.
Due to the size of eTextbooks, a high-speed internet connection (cable modem, DSL, LAN) is required for download stability and speed. Your connection can be wired or wireless.
Being online is not required for reading an eTextbook after successfully downloading it. You must only be connected to the Internet duringthe download process.
XP or Windows 7 (32 or 64 running in 32 bit mode), or Mac OS 10.6 or above
At least 512 MB RAM, 600 mHZ processor, and 40 MB of hard drive space (75MB for Mac OS)
What is the Marketplace? It's another way for you to get the right price on the books you need. We approved every Marketplace vendor to sell their books on Textbooks.com, so you know they're all reliable.
What are Marketplace shipping options? Marketplace items do not qualify for free shipping. When ordering from the Marketplace, please specify whether you want the seller to send your book Standard ($3.99/item) or Express ($6.99/item). To get free shipping over $25, just order directly from Textbooks.com instead of through the Marketplace.
FREE UPS 2nd Day Air Terms
Rental and Marketplace items are excluded. Offer is valid from 1/21/2013 12:00PM to 1/23/2013 11:59AM CST. Your order must be placed by 12 Noon CST to be processed on the same day. Minimum order value is $100.00 excluding Rental and Marketplace items. To redeem this offer, select "FREE UPS 2ND DAY AIR" at checkout. Offer not is not valid on previous orders.