Summary: This best-selling writing guide teaches students to think as biologists and to express that thinking clearly and concisely through their writing. Edition/Copyright: 5TH 04
Starting with a macro focus on general writing matters and moving to a micro focus on specific types of writing in biology, this brief, supplemental guide provides students with all the tools they'll need to be successful writers. Emphasizing writing as a means to examining, evaluating, sharing, and refining idea ...show mores, this text teaches students to communicate information accurately and concisely. Comprehensive coverage of how to read and evaluate articles, interpret and describe the results of statistical tests, maintain laboratory and field notebooks, and communicate information to professional and general audiences makes this best-selling book a "must have" for any biology student.
New To This Edition :
- Discusses the key areas of writing in biology including essay exams, term papers, proposals, summaries, critiques, laboratory and other research reports, and letters of application.
- Extensive pedagogy in each chapter includes checklists and summaries, lists of concepts, processes, common pitfalls, and highlighted key statements.
- Includes useful coverage on the creation of oral presentations and poster presentations.
- Introduces students to the way biologists think and write about biology, providing general advice on reading and writing about data and statistical analyses.
- Several useful appendices provide additional writing and research help, including a list of commonly used abbreviations, references for further reading, and information on computer software for the biological sciences.
- Updated coverage of citing sources reflects the latest changes in the Council of Science Editors (CSE) style.
- Enhanced instruction for avoiding plagiarism includes new specific checklists and guidelines.
- Features updated guidelines for doing research on the web, including the use of online journals.
- Presents new advice on preparing effective graphs and PowerPoint presentations.
- Offers additional
Publisher: Longman, Inc.
Other Editions of Short Guide to Writing About Biology: