Summary: For Introductory Soil Science and Environmental Soil Science courses. Edition/Copyright: 10TH 04
Based on the most current scientific developments in all areas, this time-honored, broad introduction to soil sciences covers the complete spectrum of traditional and state-of-the-art soil topics--e.g., taxonomy, soil formation, properties of soils, common soil problems and their solutions, evaluation of soils, pollution from use of soils, precision agriculture, GIS and GPS.
...show more> Features
- NEW--Updated with recent advances in science, policy, and practices--e.g. global dust movements, tillage erosion, the phosphorus index, organic farming, P index, manure management, specific remedies for soil problems, and other aspects of landscape features, soil chemistry and environmental remediation.
- Provides students with the most current information available, familiarizes them with current legislation and enables them to apply their knowledge to important current events and issues.
- NEW--Revised end-of-chapter questions.
- Provides students with updated relevant questions so they can review and assess their knowledge.
- NEW--More Soil-related human-interest stories--e.g. The effects of green rooftops on urban environments, and the soil connection to anthrax.
- Provides students with a human-interest element to the science and broadens students' appreciation and awareness of social and environmental issues.
- Student-friendly organization--Includes extensive use of visual aids and highlighted information; Web references for further study in each chapter; sample fully-worked problems; literature citations; List of Facts-to-Know for each chapter; Chapter-end questions with answers in Instructor's Manual; extensive Glossary; and chapter-opening quotes from interesting celebrities (e.g. Chief Seattle, Bruce Springsteen, and Yogi Berra).
- Provides students with helpful features that make the difficult study of soil science less intimidating and more interesting.
- Soil-related concepts placed into the big picture.
- Offers students clear explanations and provides many practical examples.
- Important issues related to soils.
- Provides students with interesting issues surrounding soil.
- Insights features throughout--Provide details of important facts and explain matters of scientific interest or curiosity.
- Broadens student's understanding of soils in an interesting way.
- Links to enrichment materials.
- Refers students to websites and other user-friendly materials.
- Extensive pedagogical aids--Chapter objectives, end-of-chapter questions, selected readings for further study and sample calculations.
- Provides students with helpful aids that enhance their learning experience.
Publisher: Prentice Hall, Inc.
Other Editions of Soils in Our Environment: