Appropriate for courses addressing issues and trends, spirituality and health, or psychosocial approaches to care.
This text provides practical guidance on many aspects of spiritual caregiving. It addresses many relevant topics including spiritual assessment, planning care, documentation, ethical concerns of sharing personal spiritual beliefs, and numerous approaches to nurturing the spirit. Features
- Balanced presentation of religion as both a positive and a negative factor influencing health and coping.
- Introduces students to material in a manner that is sensitive to diverse spiritual beliefs.
- Two-tiered approach to assessment.
- Encourages students to be empathetic listeners and identify spiritual need (first tier) and then, if necessary, follow up with more extensive assessment (second tier).
- Chapter-ending Look Within to Learn features.
- Encourages spiritual self-awareness and understanding of how personal spirituality influences clinical care.
- Research Profiles boxed features.
- Provides students with profiles of a research study conducted by a nurse on the topic of spirituality and health.
- One Nurse's Story boxed features.
- Illustrates for students a nurse's perspective of concepts and clinical examples of spiritual caregiving.
- Key points at end of each chapter.
- Summarizes the material presented to help reinforce students' learning.