Summary: Now your students can become intelligent consumers of scientific research, without being overwhelmed by the statistics! Jaccard and Becker's text teaches students the basic skills for analyzing data and helps them become intelligent consumers of scientific information. Praised for its real-life applications, the text tells students when to use a particular statistic, why they should use it, and how the statistic should be computed and interpreted. Because many studen ...show morets, given a set of data, cannot determine where to begin in answering relevant research questions, the authors explicate the issues involved in selecting a statistical test. Each statistical technique is introduced by giving instances where the test is most typically applied followed by an interesting research example (each example is taken from psychology literature).Edition/Copyright: 4TH 02
- "Applications to the Analysis of a Social Problem" sections present vivid accounts of how data are analyzed in the real world.
- "Method of Presentation" sections provide examples of how statistical analysis are typically presented in real research reports.
- "Exercises to Apply Concepts," found at the end of each chapter, let students work through exercises that use interesting, literature-based examples.
- The book features multiple-choice questions at the end of each chapter, in addition to its extensive short-answer and computational problems.
- In-chapter and end-of-chapter exercises and solutions have been "double checked" for accuracy.
- NEW! Emphasis and discussion on "effect size" estimation and confidence intervals in research in the social sciences (found in Chapters 8, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, and 17) has been increased.
- NEW! Each chapter that describes a parametric inferential statistic now includes a section on confidence intervals. Good examples of this appear in chapters 1, 3, 9, 12, 14, and 17.
- NEW! This edition offers more in-depth discussion on issues surrounding null hypothesis testing (chapters 8, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17).
- NEW! "Examples from the Literature" feature additional coverage of recent statistical emphases found in the scientific journals.
Publisher: Wadsworth, Inc
Other Editions of Statistics For The Behavioral Sciences: