Summary: Finally, a book about content-area reading that's just as useful to math, science, and history teachers as it is to English teachers! Lively, practical, and irreverent, Subjects Matter points the way to activities and materials that energize content and engage students across all subject areas. Harvey Daniels and Steven Zemelman, authors of a dozen influential books on literacy and cofounders of Best Practice High School, bring their trademark style--teacher friendly ...show more and kid wise--to the reality of today's middle and high schools. Edition/Copyright: 04
Their book features:
- 23 practical classroom activities that help students understand and remember what they read, in mathematics, science, social studies, English, and more
- a tough analysis of today's textbooks, along with specific ways to use them more effectively
- a new "balanced diet" of reading, including 150 real books of interest to teenage readers
- instructions for growing a rich classroom library in your subject area
- plans for setting up student book clubs and reading groups in any discipline
- group-building techniques that create a productive community of readers
- a do-it-yourself exploration of the ways smart readers think
- models for developing ambitious thematic units within your classroom or with colleagues
- special help and materials for students who struggle
- scientific proof that the book's recommended activities do improve reading and learning.
- Punctuated by stories from real math, science, social studies, and other classrooms, Subjects Matter shows how young people can read and succeed across the curriculum, and how their teachers can help.