Summary: THE SUCCESSFUL INTERNSHIP offers students more than just a resource on how to find a position or how to interview; it addresses the concerns, emotions, needs, and unique personal challenges that are the essence of an internship or field experience. The authors describe in detail the path of change students will find themselves embarking on and the challenges they will face along the way, and they provide clear, concrete tools that build the foundation for students' s ...show moreuccessful field/practicum experience. The book's five-stage model of the internship process--anticipation, disillusionment, confrontation, competence, and culmination--places the material in a meaningful framework that lends structure to students' understanding of the work they will be doing.Edition/Copyright: 2ND 04
- NEW! New Chapter 13, "Considering the Issues: Professional, Ethical and Legal" provides material on professional, ethical and legal matters and the handling of dilemmas.
- Students can apply the stage model to areas of their lives beyond their internships, such as new careers or relationships as well as subsequent internships, practica, or service-learning experiences.
- NEW! New Chapter 9, "Getting to Know the Community" encourages the student to consider another vital aspect of the intern's surroundings. The community is the dynamic interaction of everything in an intern's environment, which is key to consider when assessing him/herself and his/her clients.
- NEW! Expanded coverage of reflective techniques appears in Chapter 1.
- NEW! More current, scholarly references have been incorporated throughout the text, such as the addition of Bolman and Deals' categories for discussing organizations.
- NEW! Chapter 6, "Getting to Know the People," from the prior edition has been divided into separate chapters--the intern's interaction with clients (Ch. 6), which includes a section on personal safety, and the interns relationship with colleagues (Ch. 7).
- NEW! A wider range of exercises for individual and group reflection at the end of each chapter provide students with additional practice opportunities.
- NEW! The new Book Companion Web Site with online exercises provides students with additional practice.
- The internship process is presented using a five-stage model that helps students to understand the practical side of the process, ethical and legal matters and getting to know your clients, colleagues, and environment, as well the inner experience of the internship as the student progresses through each stage.
- Student quotes and cases give the book an experiential, contextual feel.
Publisher: Brooks/Cole Publishing Co.
Other Editions of Successful Internship : Transformation and Empowerment in Experiential Learning: