Summary: Miller's SUSTAINING THE EARTH, 7th Edition, part of the new ADVANTAGE SERIES, is the briefest and most up-to-date environmental science text on the market. It has the most balanced approach to the environmental science instruction, with bias-free comparative diagrams throughout and a focus on prevention of and solutions to environmental problems. Edition/Copyright: 7TH 05
Tyler Miller is the most successful author in academic writing on environmental science because of his attentio ...show moren to currency, trend setting presentation of content, ability to predict student and instructor needs for new and different supplements, and his ability to retain the hallmarks on which instructors have come to depend. The content in the 7th edition of SUSTAINING THE EARTH is everything you have come to expect and more.
In this 7th edition, the author has added the "How Would You Vote?" feature, which is an application of environmental science-related topics in the news. Students apply their environmental science knowledge from the book to a Web activity, which helps them investigate environmental science issues in a structured manner. They then cast their votes on the Web. Results are then tallied.
Also found at the Miller website is the much used "Updates on Line." Updated twice a year with articles from InfoTrac College Edition service, CNN® Today Video Clips, and Web links, instructors can seamlessly incorporate the most current news articles and research findings to support text presentations. This is a time saver for instructors and part-time teachers who can quickly determine what ancillary materials they want to utilize in just minutes.
As with the last edition, this text is packaged with a free Student CD-ROM entitled "Interactive Concepts in Environmental Science." Organized by chapter, the CD gives students links to relevant resources, narrated animations, interactive figures, and prompts to review material and test themselves.
New to the Edition
This title is part of the ADVANTAGE SERIES an exciting series created specifically to deliver quality content from highly respected authors in a convenient format that will be sold to your students at a significantly lower price.
The web based "How Would You Vote?" feature allows students not only to vote on how to respond to issues in the environmental science but also to provide their reasoning so instructors can assess critical thinking skills. Each chapter's "how Would You Vote?" feature asks students to consider news topics, gather and evaluate pro/con information, apply knowledge, then cast a vote a Web. Students can see how peers in their state and across the nation voted. For additional facts and perspectives on each side of the issue, instructors can assign readings from the online Opposing Viewpoints Resource Center.
- A revised chapter order emphasizes biodiversity and presents the major biology chapters together (Chapters 3-8 ), in response to instructors who field that grouping the biology content would better address the loss and degradation of biodiversity as one of the most serious environmental problems.
- A brief headline and one sentence summary have been added to each subsection. This running summary promotes more effective learning than conventional end-of-chapter summaries.
- "What Can You Do?" figures found through the book outline what students can do within their own lifestyles to combat various environmental problems.
- Nearly 75 new illustrations have been added. More than 100 others have been improved or updated, and 20 new expanded topics also appear in the book.
- The current edition has an even more reader-friendly writing style.
- Many new and improved illustrations can be found in the 7th edition, as well as new topics including affluenza, four principles of sustainability, reconciliation ecology, reducing fire damage in national forests, nanotechnology, and bioterrorism.
- Also found at the Miller Web site is the much used "Up-dates on Line" which points users to articles from online library InfoTrac® College Edition, CNN® Today Video clips, and animations, instructors will be able to seamlessly incorporate the most current news articles and up-to-the minute research findings into their presentation of the material. This is a time saver for instructors and part-time teachers alike, who can quickly determine what ancillary materials they want to incorporate in just minutes.
- A powerful PowerPoint presentation tool for instructors can be found in the Multimedia Manager for this title. It is the ultimate presentation tool on Microsoft® PowerPoint®. All the illustrations and many of the photographs from the text, plus several animations, are at your fingertips on this great CD-ROM. The figures can be drawn on to highlight ideas during lecture. Removable labels and enlargement capabilities make this instructors' tool more powerful than ever.
- The book places a strong emphasis on scientific objectivity and the need for un-biased solutions of environmental problems. This important positioning and presentation of material is not only carried out through the main text discussions but also in formal Pro/Con discussions and diagrams found throughout the book. Input versus output solutions are included.
- Another hallmark of this book is its exceptional presentation and evaluation of solutions to ecological problems.
- Numerous figures, bullets, easily understood diagrams, and numbered lists throughout help students grasp the material.
- The book's increased emphasis on solutions to environmental problems includes input versus output solutions.
Publisher: Brooks/Cole Publishing Co.
Other Editions of Sustaining the Earth - With CD: