This edition has also been released as:
Summary: The bestselling text of its kind, Lannon's Technical Communication, is the premier text for introductory technical communication, combining a pragmatic and accessible approach to the subject with attention to the latest developments in the field. Edition/Copyright: 9TH 03
Addressing a wide range of interests for classes in which students from a variety of majors are enrolled, Technical Communication, 9/e, combines practical applications with clear writing and examples. Rhetorical p ...show morerinciples are explained, illustrated, and applied to an array of documents, from brief memos and summaries to formal reports and proposals. Coverage of such topics as document design, electronic communication, and oral presentations reflect the realm of technical communication today. Exercises, incorporated throughout the text, enable students to better understand the skills necessary both in college and in the workplace. New "Tech Comm in the News" features focus on current topical issues in the field while a series of integrated web icons provide students with a new way to access valuable additional information on the text's companion website.
Long the standard in the industry, Technical Communication 9/e continues to lead in its treatment of the issues which confront students in today's technical communication classes-from managing collaborative groups to designing pages for the World Wide Web.
- Concise, pragmatic approach. Many of the newer books in the field propose some kind of theoretical approach. Lannon treats technical communication as a concrete problem-solving activity in a concise, accessible manner rather than foregrounding some particular theoretical orientation up-front.
- TECHNOLOGY ADVANTAGE - Comprehensive coverage of computers and the Internet as used in technical communication reflects current trends in technology.
- TECHNOLOGY ADVANTAGE - Chapter 20, "Web Pages and Other Electronic Documents" guides students in creating Web Sites and other electronic documents. The chapter also includes introductions to hypertext, HTML, and usability criteria.
- Chapter 6, "Working in Teams," offers guidelines and strategies for successful collaboration, discusses sources and management of conflict, explores creative thinking and listening, and provides an emphasis on computer-mediated and Internet collaboration. Collaborative projects are also featured throughout the text.
- Emphasis on the critical evaluation of data and information literacy is integrated throughout the text. Also, Chapter 7, "Thinking Critically About the Research Process," explores expert opinion and ways to effectively evaluate it.
- Chapter 17, "Designing and Testing Your Document for Usability," provides guidelines for producing effective documents and explores usability issues in online or multimedia documents. "Usability Checklists" -integrated throughout-also help students polish their writing.
- Detailed coverage of international and cultural issues in technical communication help students address the needs of global audiences and better understand specific cultural guidelines for various types of communication.
New To This Edition:
- New "Tech Comm in the News" Features. Each Part Opener now features a current events new story, which demonstrates the impact of technical communication in the real world.
- TECHNOLOGY ADVANTAGE - New "Web Icons" appear throughout the text, integrating material presented in the book with additional resources and interactive materials on the Companion Website. Marginal icons in the text highlight places where the Companion Website offers additional cases, sample documents, templates, and examples.
- TECHNOLOGY ADVANTAGE - Updated technology coverage. Chapters on web design, document design, and usability, in particular, have been heavily revised to reflect changes in technology and an increasing use of web-based documents and platforms.
- Increased coverage of ethics. In addition to one complete chapter on ethical principles and case studies in Part 1, ethical decision making is woven into the fabric of the communication process.
- New coverage of project management. Chapter 6 on working in teams has been redesigned to emphasize the tools and techniques of project management.
- More sample documents. These have been added to the document design chapter and web design chapter in particular, and include new web pages and other related documents throughout. About one-third of the sample documents are new, and about 25% additional new documents have been added. Appendix B offers an added "casebook" of sample documents, including an extended "document in progress."
- Added coverage of international and global workplace issues. Includes additional samples, cases, and exercises premised on a multi-national intercultural workplace, foregrounding issues of cultural and social style differences.
- New service-learning component. End of chapter exercises now include some projects specifically intended for use in service-learning courses. A non-profit organization angle has been added to supplement the corporate culture examples.
Publisher: Longman, Inc.
Year Published: 2003
Other Editions of Technical Communication: