Summary: Based on the new paradigms for school counseling including: the Education Trust's Transforming School Counseling (1997), the ASCA Model (2003), and National Standards for School Counseling Programs (1997), this introductory text provides students with an overview of working in schools and the transformation needed to successfully meet the needs of 21st century students.Edition/Copyright: 06
Transforming School Counseling challenges pre-service counselors to view their sphere of ...show more influence from a systemic perspective and develop an awareness of the major societal and educational changes impacting the school counselor: including economy, technology, family structures, standards based education, and diversity.
- Stone and Dahir have extensive experience as school counselors, directors of school counseling and guidance programs, and consultants to state education departments and school districts nationwide.
- A full chapter is included and addresses student diversity, including issues related to gender, sexual orientation, ethnicity and culture, socio-economic status, and ability and disability.
- Each chapter opens with a school-based scenario designed to help students grapple with contemporary issues such as closing the achievement gap, and bullying. The chapter then concludes with the response to this scenario presented by a practicing school counselor. These scenarios give students a glimpse of how counseling is actually done in today's schools.
- Topics include using counseling, consultation, and the coordination of services to impact the climate and culture of a school; advocating a social justice agenda and promoting equitable access to quality education; and implementing accountable school counseling programs.
- Special consideration is given to how school counselors can use technology to efficiently and effectively expand the delivery of services and communication among all stakeholders, including parents.
- Learning activities are numerous and varied throughout and include individual, small group, and whole class activities; as well as Web-based activities.
Publisher: Lahaska Press
Other Editions of Transformed School Counselor: