Summary: This book covers the transition of individuals with mild to severe disabilities from a school-age program to all aspects of adult life.Edition/Copyright: 4TH 06
The text addresses not only the transition of students with disabilities to employment, but also the transition to future living and post-secondary educational environments. Self-determination, interpersonal, and community integration knowledge and skills are integrated throughout. Transition Education and Services for Stud ...show moreents with Disabilities builds upon the success of past editions, but expands content to include students with severe disabilities and students at the elementary and middle school levels. This text addresses the ideal and the real in terms of the relationship of the field of transition education and services to the standards-based reform movement in education. This book is intended for use by those in pre-service education programs at the undergraduate and graduate level, as well as those currently teaching in secondary special education programs and/or providing transition education and services.
- Presents coordinated chapters that focus on major areas of transition education and provide in-depth information on each of these areas.
- Models of transition education and transition services provide a coordinated approach to the course instructor and students (Ch. 1).
- The history of secondary special education and transition education provides readers with a foundation for current practice (Ch. 1).
- An overview of the progression of major legislation related to educational reform and transition education provides an understanding of how all of the legislation is related (Ch. 2).
- Offers specific strategies for teaching transition knowledge and skills with an emphasis on inclusive education and integration into the community (Ch. 10).
- Emphasis on working with general education and involving individuals with disabilities and their families in the student's education and transition process.
- Specific assessment approaches for transition planning are presented, and an extensive listing of commercially available assessment instruments are included in the text's Companion Website.
- Information on education in self-determination is emphasized throughout the text.
- Chapter on the transition to post-secondary education contains information on the documentation needs of postsecondary education institutions and recommendations for meeting these needs with data collected as part of the transition assessment process (Ch. 7).
- Specific steps are outlined to prepare professionals to place, train, and supervise students with disabilities in community-based employment, with or without supports (Chapter 11).
- Chapter on different models for providing students with work-based learning, with an emphasis on including students with disabilities in general education programs. (Chapter 6)
Publisher: Allyn & Bacon, Inc.
Year Published: 2006
Other Editions of Transition Education and Services for Students with Disabilities: