Summary: Understandable Statistics is a thorough, yet manageable text for one-semester introductory statistics courses. The text's approachable style is designed to help students overcome their apprehension about statistics, providing plenty of guidance and informal advice that show the links between statistics and the world. To reinforce this approach, the book integrates graphing technology as well as real-life data from such sources as journals, periodicals, newspapers and ...show more the Internet. This real-world emphasis asks students to utilize real data to draw conclusions and interpret results, working on problems drawn from the sciences, business, medicine, archaeology, and consumer economics.Edition/Copyright: 7TH 03
Several features new to the Seventh Edition enhance student learning and instructor preparation. Also new to this edition is a robust set of technology resources, including a market-leading video series that provides valuable reinforcement for struggling students.
- New! Check Points at the beginning of each section list the concepts that will be covered in the section to prepare students for the material.
- New! Tech Notes, found in select section examples, provide general tips to guide students in the appropriate use of the TI-83 Plus, Minitab, and Excel. Denoted by an icon, the Tech Notes also incorporate display screens from each of these technologies to help students work through a statistical problem and better understand the solution.
- New! Chapter openers have been redesigned to include new pedagogical features: a brief Chapter Table of Contents and a set of Preview Questions with references to the appropriate section in the chapter. Also featuring compelling new photos, the chapter-opening material maintains the book's emphasis on real-world applications with quotes, commentary, and Focus Problems from the previous edition.
- New! Labels added to Examples, Guided Exercises, End-of-Section Exercises, and Review Problems conveniently identify the focus or topic of the exercise.
- New! Even and odd answers in text margins of the Instructor's Annotated Edition, located next to their respective exercises, offers instructors a time-saving convenience. For answers that contain art or tables too large to fit in the margin, a note directs instructors to the Appendices, "Answers to Selected Even-Numbered Problems" and "Answers and Key Steps to Odd-Numbered Problems." The latter section also appears in the student text.
- Viewpoint boxes in most section exercise sets present a real-world situation and feature thought-provoking problems that help to humanize statistics. Many of the Viewpoints encourage further exploration by directing students to Internet sites that are good sources of data.
- Data Highlights (Group Projects) at the end of each chapter help prepare students for the collaboration that will be required of them in the workplace. The projects prompt students to work in small groups, discuss a topic, analyze data, and collaborate to formulate their response.
- Linking Concepts (Writing Projects) at the end of each chapter challengestudents to extend their thinking and examine statistical concepts from abroader perspective by expressing their thoughts in essay form.
- Integration of the Internet as a source for data offers instructors a springboard for projects and encourages students to explore. To allow instructors and students flexibility, all exercises referencing the Internet contain the relevant data so that use of the Internet is optional.
- Guided Exercises immediately follow selected examples to give students the opportunity to work with new concepts before more are presented. Completely worked out solutions are situated beside each exercise to offer immediate reinforcement.
- Detailed Examples show students how to select and apply appropriate procedures to solve problems.
- Using Technology sections include real-world data from a variety of disciplines in problems that can be solved using computer software or a graphing calculator. Screen displays from Minitab, the TI-83, Excel, and Computerstat are also included, along with helpful instructions.
- Section Exercises, featuring updated real data problems, require students to use all the new concepts mastered in the preceding section. Key steps to solutions of odd-numbered problems are contained in the back of the text for the student's benefit.
- Chapter Focus Problems help prepare students for the concepts and skills to be covered and comprehensive Chapter Review Problems at the end of each chapter reinforce the material. Many problems synthesize material and concepts from several sections, asking students to decide what technique to apply to a problem.
Publisher: Houghton Mifflin Harcourt