Summary: Understandable Statistics is a thorough, yet approachable statistics text. Designed to help students overcome their apprehension about statistics, the text provides guidance and informal advice showing students the links between statistics and the world. To reinforce this approach, the book integrates real-life data selected from a variety of sources including journals, periodicals, newspapers and the internet. The use of the graphing calculator, Excel, Minitab and SPSS ...show more is covered, but not required.Edition/Copyright: 8TH 08
The new Enhanced Edition includes new critical thinking and statistical literacy content, extensive technology resources including a new algorithmic testbank, new lecture slides (PowerPoint), along with a market-leading DVD series and other resources designed to provide reinforcement for students and support for instructors.
- Coverage of regression appears early in this edition.
- Procedures provide a brief summary of the statistical methods introduced in each chapter section. Examples and Guided Exercises demonstrate each Procedure.
- Cumulative Review Problems appear at the end of Chapters 3, 6, 9, and 11 and integrate concepts introduced in the previous three chapters.
- Guided Exercises immediately follow selected examples and provide an opportunity for students to explore new concepts. Worked-out solutions next to each exercise give students immediate reinforcement.
- Focus Points! at the beginning of each section introduce the topics to be covered.
- Data Highlights: Group Projects at the end of each chapter simulate real-world working situations. Together students discuss topics, analyze data, and formulate a group response to questions posed in the exercise.
- Linking Concepts: Writing Projects challenge students to craft an essay response to questions that apply statistical concepts to real life situations.
- New! Critical Thinking and Statistical Literacy appendix gives students the opportunity to develop the joint skills of thinking and communicating in the language of statistics. Students are given real-world problems and encouraged to interpret these situations correctly, choose the right tests, evaluate the reasonableness of their answers, and succinctly relay their conclusions to peers.
- New! HM Testing provides instructors with wide array of new algorithmic exercises along with improved functionality and ease of use. Instructors can create, author/edit, customize, and deliver multiple types of tests--including authoring and editing algorithmic questions.
- Updated! Online Teaching Center now includes new Lecture Aids (PowerPoint), together with an online Instructor's Solutions Manual with course design suggestions, chapter-by-chapter commentary, chapter tests and answers, Digital Art and Tables (PowerPoint), and access to the Student website resources.
Publisher: Houghton Mifflin Harcourt
Other Editions of Understandable Statistics : Enhanced: