Summary: A condensed and more streamlined version of the very popular and widely used Understandable Statistics, 7/e, this book offers instructors an effective solution to teaching the essentials of statistics within a more limited time frame. Designed to help students overcome their apprehension about statistics, Understanding Basic Statistics is a thorough, yet approachable text that provides plenty of guidance and informal advice demonstrating the links between statistics ...show moreand the world. To reinforce its real-world approach, the book integrates graphing technology as well as real-life data selected from a variety of sources including journals, periodicals, newspapers and the Internet, and from such fields as business, medicine, archaeology, and consumer economics. The Third Edition includes several new features that enhance learning and simplify instructor preparation. A robust set of technology resources, including a Video/DVD series, provides students with valuable reinforcement. Edition/Copyright: 3RD 04
- New! HM StatPass Student CD-ROM, packaged FREE with every new student text, features the ComputerStat statistical software program, data sets, and a tutorial program.
- New! HM ClassPrep with HM Testing Version 6.0 CD-ROM provides instructors with access to both lecture aids and testing software in one convenient tool.
- New! Focus Points found at the beginning of each section list the various concepts that will be covered in the section.
- New! Tech Notes provide general tips on appropriate use of the TI-83 Plus, Minitab, and Excel. They also incorporate display screens from each of these technologies to help students work through a statistical problem and better understand the solution. Denoted by an icon, Tech Notes appear in section examples, when appropriate.
- New! Redesigned Chapter Openers offer new pedagogical features to further support learning: a brief Chapter Table of Contents, new photos, and a set of pertinent Preview Questions with section references. and new photos. Chapter-opening material maintains the book's emphasis on real world applications with quotes, commentary, and updated Chapter Focus Problems.
- New! Labels for Examples, Guided Exercises, End-of-Section Exercises, and Review Problems help students identify the focus or topic of an exercise.
- New! A removable Formula Card containing "Frequently Used Formulas" organized by chapter, areas of standard normal distribution, and values generated by Minitab version 9.2, is automatically packaged with new texts.
- Thought-provoking Viewpoint boxes placed in most exercise sets focus on real-world situations and help to humanize statistics. Many of the Viewpoints refer students to relevant Internet sites for further exploration.
- Special chapter-ending projects include Data Highlights: Group Projects, which offer practice in collaborative discussion, analysis, and problem solving; and Linking Concepts: Writing Projects, which challenge students to extend their thinking and examine statistical concepts from a broader perspective, usually in essay form.
- Detailed Examples walk students through the process of selecting and applying appropriate procedures to solve problems, and Guided Exercises follow selected examples to give students the opportunity to work with new concepts before more are presented. Completely worked out solutions are situated beside each exercise for immediate reinforcement.
- Using Technology Sections include real-world data from a variety of disciplines and can be solved using a computer software package or a graphing calculator. Screen displays from Minitab, the TI-83, Excel, and ComputerStat are also included, along with helpful instructions.
- Section Exercises, featuring updated real data problems, require students to use all the new concepts mastered in the preceding section. Key steps to solutions of odd-numbered problems are contained in the back of the text. Comprehensive Chapter Review Problems cover each topic introduced in the chapter and often synthesize material and concepts from several sections.
Cover: Multimedia Set
Publisher: Houghton Mifflin Harcourt
Other Editions of Understanding Basic Statistics / With CD-ROM: